Battery for electric car.

It still is pretty much a monopoly. Except alternative suppliers can pick and choose the areas they cable.

The biggest difference was that we were allowed to connect devices through a single master socket. I think that was sorted by various interests wanting to sell telephone equipment who lobbied the government.

Reply to
Fredxx

In message <ru9hps$g4d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 15:21:32 on Wed, 20 Jan

2021, Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> remarked:

It was more the philosophical issue of breaking the monopoly because the GPO phone was only available as rental. As soon as you forced the GPO to allow you to buy one instead, you had to allow alternative suppliers.

Oddly enough, when ADSL was rolled out initially, you were forced to rent the modem/router from BT, and it was only when the "wires only" product became available that you had a choice.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Choosing a battery capacity would, on its own, be fine. But whatever technology, the battery's mass will approximately double as the capacity doubles.

Designing a car which drives well but can cope with its heaviest single component varying in mass by such very large margins is a challenge.

Maybe, if the additional battery were treated like a trailer, it would be possible? (Imagine a trailer that has it own wheels and snuggles under the boot. So doesn't make the vehicle longer.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

That?s not viable at the higher road speeds.

That?s not viable either, you are stuck with the speed of the lorry and its too hard to leave from in the middle when you need to particularly for the worst drivers.

But makes self driving cars even harder to do.

Reply to
Fred

Actually, thinking about it, this combines with a rapid-charge battery rather nicely. It means a truck needs less time spent 'under the wires', meaning the need to wire up shorter distances of motorways. You would wire (for example) 10 miles in every hundred to keep the trucks topped up.

I'm not completely convinced that the above 670V DC catenary would be enough though. A class 373 Eurostar train can draw 12.2MW on 25kV 50Hz AC overhead, but could only take 3.4MW on 750V DC third rail due to power supply limitations - I imagine something similar would apply here. (putting 25kV above a motorway might have problematic safety concerns...)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

But pretty short runs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Do you think any tom dick or harry can connect to the electric cable running down your road, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The laugh is the main alternative here is Virgin. Street cabinets with no doors or them swinging open. Have a couple of neighbours so fed up with them they went back to BT.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

What's that got to do with the end of the GPO monopoly?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Depends on the premises.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Terraced homes could have a swinging or telescopic gantry, extended when needed to give an overhead cable.

I'll get my coat :-)

Reply to
RJH

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 00:50:59 on Thu, 21 Jan

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

That ignores LLU (local loop unbundling). Now strengthened by the separation of BT retail and Openreach.

I've had LLU service the last 20yrs, and only once had cable (pre-merger[s] when it was provided by Nynex)

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 00:46:33 on Thu, 21 Jan

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

In many places it would have to run back to the substation.

Even if we ignore overhead 240v cabling (which is still commonplace in rural areas) a lot of buried 240v cabling is only rated at around 2kW per premises on that cable run.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I meant this way -

As seen on one of Michael Portillo's programs

Reply to
Andrew

That's how early petrol pumps worked before pumps were installed in little islands surrounded by a concrete or tarmac apron

Reply to
Andrew

Reason, Bill. If installing a phone was expensive because of a BT monopoly, so would installing any electrical services.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Do the pavements round your way depend entirely on the premises?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Then if that were the case, so would any driveway chargers.

Then they will have the same problem charging their car on their premises.

We were talking about terraced streets where you couldn't charge your car in your garage or off street parking.

Are there any terraced streets fed by overhead cables with a 2kW per house limit?

I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural houses. Where a tractor is a more suitable method of transport.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 14:28:24 on Thu, 21 Jan

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

They are equally at risk (of overloading the local distribution network).

It's not a limit, it's the provision averaged over all the premises on the street. My son lives on one.

No, that's the mistake you are making, it applies to a large number of residential premises (as an average).

Reply to
Roland Perry

No one has mentioned as a "2kw limit". It is a figure that DNOs assume as the /average/ demand per household when planning a network. Around

2kw is what was used for vast numbers of dwellings - including urban estates. With good justification based on empirical evidence.

The effect on that "after diversity maximum demand" of EVs and heat pumps is what has the National Grid, DNOs et al looking at massive investment plus better demand management.

Reply to
Robin