Apprentices and charity work

The myth that all teachers work many hours in excess of actual teaching ones is just that,

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's strange the Plymouth Brethren in Stow-on-the-Wold run a very good farm supplies shop.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

When I was at school, many years ago the teachers that came straight out of the education system into teaching were, in the main, quite useless. Those that had spent time in the outside world first were, in the main, quite good.

I really hope that you are trolling Dave.

My wife is a teacher and has had a couple of days to herself during the "long summer holiday". The rest of the time she has been working, either in school or at home. Any teacher that does not work long hours is not going to either do a good job, or last long.

The myth that teachers enjoy long holidays is just that.

Reply to
Bill

So why did you apply to be one? No floundering please:-)

Both.

Reply to
ARW

Which one?

Reply to
ARW

Get a view of the real "working class" world...

Pretty close but what do they care? They'll just have a house on a council sink estate and draw benefits. Have reasonable standard of living and be quite happy watching their equals fight in Trisha.

I don't think we are quite into B arcs yet but remember the consequences of that came back to bite those that sent 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Clearly you have been reading the Daily Mail.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite. SWTNFI is a teacher. She has been working 11 hour days for the past three weeks preparing for start of term tomorrow, then coming home and working in the evenings. She is working at the desk opposite (at home) right now.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite, Schools have just gone back and the media has stories of children starting school for the first time still in nappies or unable to use a knife and fork. What have their parents been doing for the last 4 years or so FFS!.

Very true and being apperently lazy goood for nothing layabouts might not be an indication of poor school results. No.1 Daughter just got 6 A*'s, 2 A's and a B, but would she doing *anything* but skulk in her room watching movies and only appear briefly at meal times during the holidays unless *she* wanted something from us.

This is very true but TBH the "workings of life", budgeting, mortages/loans, credit/debit cards, pensions, investments, etc have never been taught in school. I think this is a great failing as once out in the real world no one else is going to tell 'em. An hour a week in the last year going through the basics of how society, the financial and political systems work would be of great value.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would be delighted to see/hear his impression of me.

Reply to
ARW

Good to tell you've never been a teacher...

You're correct: *all* teachers don't. But the vast majority do. As in all walks of life it's possible to find some dross.

I wanted a job. Initially I wanted to be a car mechanic, I just fancied it. I was 15. I walked to every garage in Blackpool but nobody wanted an apprentice. Then I saw the advertisement for an apprentice heating engineer. I just walked in and the job was mine, no proper interview. I was the slave who got all the nasty dangerous work. Little Health and Safety in those days. I was there until I was 21.

That's the way it should be. Does the hands on guy have the final say?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Well, I've never heard that myth.

RJH

At our last house, our next door neighbours were Plymouth Brethren. Some of the nicest people I've ever met, couldn't fault them. With the exception of the time at which they rose on a Sunday. I think the earliest they (or rather, their children) ever woke us up was 06:50.

Reply to
Huge

LOL. That's marvellous.

Although I would say that once I left school, it turned out that most of the teachers were actually human beings beneath the defensive camouflage.

Reply to
Huge

Dave? Good grief, I imagine he bursts into flames if he touches it, much like a vampire with a crucifix. It is a surprising attitude, though, given that Dave's a Guardian man, through and through.

Reply to
Huge

Not by me! I think the building trades are grossly undervalued. Nevertheless, I have yet to meet anyone who had a vocation to be an electrician.

OTOH, my daughter has just qualified as a teacher, because she wanted to teach. Good degree from a good university, but that's what she chose to do.

Reply to
GB

I would imagine the short hours enjoyed by a recent neighbour of mine. He worked as a full time teacher and didn't leave work before me and was sunning himself in the garden when I got home - even in the weeks when I enjoyed a flexi-time week of only doing 28 hours.

Reply to
alan

Balls. Who has a "vocation" to be an accountant or an IT consultant or a TV sound bloke or whatever?

Reply to
Adrian