OT. Charity Ratings

Charities are usually asking for help this time of year.

. This should help if one needs to make a decision where to get involved.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If the US would quit giving money to other countries and look out after our one people we would not need many of the charities. Some seem to have big salaries and some are family 'owned' . Like years ago a United Way man was talking to us at the company and he and his wife were the local people . He said how much he and his wife were making. Don't recall the numbers, but even his wife was making more per year than many at the company and our company was in the top 5 paying places in the county.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Not sure about site. I see Goodwill Industries of Delaware has a rating of 100 yet know the head here makes nearly $200,000 a year and the president makes half a mil.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That is correct. I was lookking at some of the more common drugs and seems that a months supply of the Eliquis is about $ 500 a month with the GoodRX coupon. No wonder they advertise it so much on TV.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Our local United Way <2 counties> is ~ a $ 3.25 million business that spends $ 725 k on salaries ; $ 61 k on office expenses ; $ 38 k on occupancy costs ; $ 188 k on fundraising ; $ 259 k other <?> It does do good work and supports many worthy causes and other smaller local charities. My personal choice would be to donate directly to a couple of the smaller charities. With just a couple long-standing exceptions, my donations are _local_ rather than to the big national ones. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My biggie is Xarelto at about the same price. Most covered by insurance plan subsidized by former employer but sometimes I get hit with a $400 bill for a three months supply. Talked to insurance company the other day and it takes an annual out of pocket of $6,000 before it drops to zilch, maybe 5% of list.

It used to be that most of new drug cost was due to R&D and FDA approval and getting expense back before patent ran out. Now most of cost is in advertising to get users to get expenses back.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

From the web site :

COLLEEN MORRONE, PRESIDENT/CE $259,077

STEWART BOEHMER, VP, DONATED $134,535

TRUDY L SPENCE-PARKER, VP. ADMINIST $132,992

MABAYOMIGE ALABI, VP, FINANCE $129,069

ZANTHEA NICHOLS, DIRECTOR, ST $106,306

This compensation data includes salary, cash bonuses, and expense accounts and is displayed exactly how it is reported to the IRS. The amounts do not include nontaxable benefits, deferred compensation, or other amounts not reported on Form W-2

It is a $ 45 m. company but charity's salaries need not be compared to private businesses .. in my opinion. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Countries with the best health care systems still have those.

Reply to
John Brown

That's not fair. That's like looking up sqaggle in a dictionary, or John Scrumplenack in a phone book. Why not look up real self-alleged charities.

Reply to
micky

Yup. The Montana Food Bank distributes food in Montana and have minimal overhead. If I want I can drive over to their warehouse and see what's going on.

Their fundraising is a bit annoying. Fresh fish might get a letter with three checkboxes, $5, $10, $25. Send them $25 and the next set will be $25, $50, $100. To quote Creedence Clearwater Revival "When you ask them how much to give the answer is more, more, more."

Reply to
rbowman

When the big African famine was in-the-news in the late '70's - it was all over the news with TV specials etc. For the first time in my life - I had a little bank account with enough to make a good donation - .. to allay my Catholic conscience ..

It went to Mennonite Central Committee MCC who had less than 1 % admin at the time. They are unheralded but worthy. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Be my guest. Post your results. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I hated United Way as they hassled us at work for donations and management knew what we gave and had quotas.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

No need to compare but if you want competent people to run the organization well, you have to pay more than minimum wage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's the go-to charity for a lot of businesses.. it's easy. Not a reason to hate it though. Most companies offer alternatives to payroll donations - I always chose MCC Mennonite Central Committee. even though the company backed the Nature Conservancy. .. both are very deserving - but I got to choose. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yep. That's what _they_ say .. .. like the hospital CEOs who shuffle themselves around over & over until their salery grade is astronomical .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'd like to think the particular charity means enough to the bigwigs that they'd work for less than the maximum they could make on the open market. Something like the overall median wage of the area seems about right to me.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You don't like Catholic Charities?

I believe charity begins at home. Fixing Africa is a lost cause.

Reply to
rbowman

Ha .. friggin' Ha .. the Roman Catholic Church is behind many of the atrocities old & new .. Any donations would surely go to their enormous and building legal fees .. No thanks. John T.

Reply to
hubops

It is because they advertise so much. It would be interesting to see just what their ad budget is and how much they kick back to doctors to prescribe these things.

Reply to
gfretwell