OT. Charity Ratings

Don't forget the bribes to politicians too. This is what Bayer spent this year on direct "contributions" to politicians and lobbying.

Direct contributions to politicians. $917,247 Lobbying $6,900,000 in 2020 $9,140,000 in 2019

Reply to
gfretwell

I never liked that type of hustle for money. I've narrowed down to just a couple, one being the hospice that was fantastic with my wife. I saw the good they do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My employer should not be mingling with my charitable business. They don't tell me what car to drive or where to buy groceries. Same thing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

IBM jerked us around in the 60s about United GF/Way but sometime in the early 70s, all we had to do was return the card, even if you selected zero and they could say you "participated". That was the only stat they cared about. I assume IBM sent them as much as the accountants wanted the write off for and we could claim close to 100% participation. There were still a few guys who simply refused to even send the cards back. I am not sure if the managers forged their name or what because we were always 100%.

Reply to
gfretwell

IBM screwed with us about the car we drove. They said they were paying expenses for a 2 year old car and the guys driving beaters were scamming the system. (image and all that) That got fought sometime in the late 60s, early 70s and it went away. It was good for me because by about 74-5 I was driving a beater. We had two guys down here driving modified VW beetles for virtually nothing. They usually got them for free or close to it and worked on them themselves.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did you at least get a coffee and doughnut out of it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

for your charity dollars you will have a hard time beating the MCC, both in the USA and Canada. (Mennonite Central Committee )and they are active worldwide including in the USA and Canada

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I first researched charities and first donated to MCC during the big widely publicised Ethiopian Famine < mid 80's > when I learned that their overhead was ~ 1 % and many of the other charities at-the-time were 10 % and some up to 20 % ! MCC is a much bigger organization now with greater overhead costs but it's still one of my regular donations.

?q.srchNmFltr=mennonite+central&q.stts=0007&selectedCharityBn=107690877RR0001&dsrdPg=1 John T.

Reply to
hubops

What I hate about charities is that if you give to one it seems they sell or give your name to others. The wife gave some to a charity at the start of the year and we started receiving mail from others almost every week and sometimes two or three on the same day. Some we never even heard the name of.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What? The Foreign aid budget is $43 billion. The total expenditures in the US in 2020 was $6.5 trillion. That's 0.66%. Not even in the noise.

The biggest chunk goes to Israel.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

About the same as a veteran police officer in New York City, per glassdoor.

It's not 1980 any more.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

We have organizations like the Salvation Army where the head state officer makes $28,000.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That is annoying too. Then they send little gifts like Christmas cards to sucker you into donating.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Funny as I recall once more pharmaceutical reps in doctors office than there were patients and most of these were leggy young women dressed to the nines.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The company solicited me for the United Way after I retired. I sent the contribution card back to them and said I would pledge 5% of any pension increase I got ;)

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I knew someone working for Goodwill and they said even the lower staff members were complaining about the boss's high salary.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Or Salvation Army Canada a $ 560 million business with 13 % $ 51 million management & admin $ 11 million consulting fees Many people earning over $ 200 grand and someone making over $ 350 grand ...

If I were donating to the Sally Ann - it would be to the local one -

- not the national body. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Same here.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This is one I support regularly

I know some of the people running it. Harry's dad was my next door neighbor here..

Reply to
gfretwell

... and that is mostly armament.

Good for Raytheon, General Dynamics and Boeing. The Palestinians, not so much.

Reply to
gfretwell