Pipeline welder salary $250,000/year

I saw an interview with an oil pipeline guy. The welders can make $250 thousand per year. Pay seems to start at $20/hour and goes up to $50/hour for other guys on the crews.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Not sure the math can be right. I make about $85/hr and it only comes to $180k/yr, unless maybe they aren't working 40 hour weeks. They might be working longer days than I do.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

A pipeline site would have as much light as you want.

Workers are likely away from home ("travelers") and working way over 40 hrs (with overtime). That is one of the reasons they are there. I talked to an electrician that worked on the Alaska north slope. He worked well over 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Reply to
bud--

Probably true. They were trying to get this thing done. One thing about welding, you can do it in the dark. The critical work is arc lit.

Reply to
gfretwell

Exactly.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe some sort of performance bonus?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No worries, Uncle Joe is going to create another job like that to replace it in the new green energy sector. Solyndra II will hire him.

Reply to
trader_4

They better grab it while it's good. Position welding on a pipeline tends to wear you out fast.

Reply to
rbowman

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 12:24:55 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Don't they have some kind of machine they set up to do it? IDK

Reply to
Tekkie©

Maybe some of it. A friend's brother was a welder on the Bakken and he's pretty screwed up now, back, knees, and so forth. He's in his 50's and it's a young man's game. The oil patch always was and I don't think it's changed much.

Reply to
rbowman