the hiiden lives of mole rats

Friend or Foe? Naked Mole Rats Can Tell By A Unique Squeak

What sounds like a large study found that different colonies had different "languages". They are almost blind and live in underground colonies and when one bumps into another in a tunnel, which is frequent, they make a particular bird-like squeak, and it turns out that different colonies make different sounds then.

Making the wrong sound makes the other one an alien and they will fight.... Interrupted for dinner and I don't remember the other interesting things. The text has parts I don't remember from the audio, but wthout the audio you can't hear what they sound like.

Each colony has a queen and when she dies there is chaos until another queen is established. The researchers thought she ruled the place, another example of SWMBO.

A lot more info about them.

micky