Apprentices and charity work

Depends if you can manage to get the time off work to be allowed to vote>:-)

Reply to
ARW

On Monday 09 September 2013 22:36 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Why would you do that when you can buy a mixed length load of leads from CPC and choose as you go. The extra 20-30cm is easily lost as a neat loop or drop at one end or the other. What I do anyway :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used not to be, but 0615 starts on the railway cured me of that.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) in England, PSE in Wales, and several other combinations, as you say alphabet soup...

My two certainly did PSHE up to 13, but after that with GSCE's kicking in, it goes well onto the back burner. AFAICT it really only covered social, health and moral issues, ie "how to be a good citizen" rather than the down to earth nitty gritty of banks, tax, employment, pensions, investments, loans, morgages etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I guess if you can do that it's less of a problem. If you're only installing one PoP (as I was), then having a large stock of cables is a problem. I tried to insist on cables (signal as well as power) being the right length and properly dressed inside cable management systems. It was the only way to survive against smart-alecs back at HQ who thought that all cables were only one pixel thick.

Reply to
Tim Streater

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Heh. Was thinking earlier today about the days when you had to pay extra for a plug to go with the appliance you'd just bought.

The modern-day version is buying a printer and getting home only to find the cable wasn't included in the box.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Streater escribió:

instead of wasting time shortening cables and rewiring them, the answer is to fit IEC strips in the rack and buy in a load of IEC-IEC cables of differing lengths and use the most appropriate for the equipment you are connecting.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net escribió:

I would have told her to f*ck off.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

And even Dixons never charged £10 for a 13A plug

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yep me too!, work much better later on in the day:)..

Eh!, th'as luxury, why my mum used to be up and about at half bloody four and worse thought that we should be as well Christ knows why!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Buy a wireless one, they usually come with a cable.

Reply to
dennis

Then just how many hours per week does the average teacher work? How many weeks in the year?

If it really is as high as some here suggest, what is their union doing about it?

And how come teachers once managed with much larger class sizes, no assistants or IT etc support? Yet most kids seemed to be able to read. write and count ok - which doesn't seem the case today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With this 45 minute lunch break, what time do the kids start and leave?

How many people have a 35 hour week? And it was 8 which was quoted. Which leaves 2 hours a day for preparation, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not in a position to say what others feel is a vocation. How are you in such a place?

Material reward?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Been listening to King Street Junior ?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Where was it said or implied a vocation could *only* be applied to manual work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then you should take it up with H&S. Everyone is entitled to a lunch break under EU legislation. There is also a limit to the number of hours worked in a day and per week.

You seem to have been nicely brainwashed like most of the spouses of teachers. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. What's that?

I'd call it discussion. You are the one who wants to argue that your opinion is correct and other wrong.

So how many hours per week did you work on average, and how many weeks holiday - where you did no school work did you have per year?

Such figures would be very nice to know. There certainly appears to be a problem with basic literacy etc with many who go through education today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)