Apprentices and charity work

Well it's half myth, half truth. I have four teachers in my family, one of whom is head of department and another is deputy head (all at secondary schools). Some do indeed do many hours of preparation and marking in the evenings and at weekends, others have never been seen to do anything at all outside school hours, except for supervising school trips abroad.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

And if you think teachers only work during term times - think again.

And if you think they only work 8 hours a day during term time - think again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , tim..... writes

Apparently. He sat twiddling his thumbs in the apprentice school for 3 weeks and then disappeared.

This was 1960!

I suppose a suitable question might be *now John, if we were to offer you this opportunity would you be able to work alongside someone listening to the radio?*

I made that up but that was his sort of problem.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They're probably booked up building Witness halls. Have you seen the speed they build them?!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

As a child I had a Witness family living opposite (well she and the kids were, he wasn't but had agreed to bring the kids up as Witnesses).

The kids were normal in most ways, but they couldn't attend birthday parties.

Unfortunately for them, the eldest girl got pregnant when she was unmarried and the younger girl got involved with a much older married man. The boy behaved more conventionally and got married and had kids.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

When I started going All Day (as opposed to Mornings Only) at kindergarten/lower primary, I had to take a napkin ring for lunchtimes :-)

Of course, I now realise this was an economy measure to save the school laundering the napkins daily.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, I got to know one as a person after leaving school. If we were the prisoners in awe of the warders, the warders were just as much in awe of a dictatorial governor. He mentioned that one of his memories was the day the head came into the staff room. I was puzzled. He explained that the norm was for the staff room phone to ring and a teacher to be summoned to the head's office as if they were a naughty child.

For the school I have nothing but unhappy memories. I remember a good number of teachers with affection.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We certainly have joined the school in telling off or punishing our children if they have misbehaved, but there can be another side and parents must be able to defend their children when they have been wronged.

Our eldest child suffered school punishments twice in the space of a fortnight (kept in at playtimes and luchtimes) for two separate events. The first was for hitting another child, the second was for swearing. In both cases he came home very upset and it turned out that the teacher (new to teaching) had got it wrong.

Yes, he did hit a child - while trying to escape from a much bigger child who was holding him and pinning his arms to his sides, while a second child encouraged a third to spin round with arms outstretched getting closer and closer to him. These children had a history of bullying him during the previous (reception) year.

Yes, he did stick two fingers up - while telling another child that my computer had "two" DVD drives. I'd be more worried about the background of a year 1 child who knew that two fingers was swearing!

In both cases, we politely told the teacher what had happened and she was very sorry. Incidentally out two younger children have since had this same teacher and she has become much more aware of what is really happening rather than what appears to be happening at first sight.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I thought I had a vocation to be an electrician when I was about five or six, or possibly a plumber. Used to ask anyone we visited to see their fusebox and/or main stopcock, and still have a fascination with Wylex and foreign plugs and sockets, 45 years later. Had Mum make me a birthday cake with a decoration in the form of a 5-amp bakelite MK plug, candles as the pins, liquorice as the flex. Grandad made me a switchboard to fit in my baby walker that went everywhere with me. Became interested in electronics at 11 or 12, did radio amateur's exam, A levels and then HND. Worked in industrial electronics production test and customer repairs ever since. Collect and restore valve radios as a hobby. It's a bit more than just a way to earn a living, but I'd certainly agree that it's quite interesting and involves a mixture of mental and manual skills. The pay isn't as good as people with similar skill and educational levels get in different fields, though.

It used to be that nursing and teaching were vocations, but are now often careers at worst and professions at best. This sentence may well not be understood by anyone under about 30.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

If an early start is essential and something they often have trouble with, you could at least do the interviews at the earliest start time. That might weed out a few who can't get up that early.

What about something to weed out those without a clue and with no interest. Even something simple such as forewarning them they will be required to wire up a plug during the interview. A few will know how to anyway - that's a good start, and the others will need to find out how to before the interview - showing some ability to learn and remember, some dexterity with simple tools, etc. (Probably need some elastoplasts handy;-)

Most of the people I have interviewed were not A*, and didn't get the job. I haven't interviewed 16 year olds though, although I have had even a 22 year old fail to show up, and when calling his home to find out if there was some mix-up with the arrangements, his mum told me he decided not to come (without bothering to let us know).

So he was learning by rote, rather than understanding what he was doing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Bill scribeth thus

When I were a lad etc;!...

If you were admonished at school for anything you DID NOT come home and complain to your dad. Reason? simple, you'd get the same chastisement repeated again;(.

You just simply got a firm message that you had done wrong and then you learnt that you didn't do wrong again..

It was that simple...

What's more it worked, and worked well..

Reply to
tony sayer

Bunkum!..

They don't do this lightly and award themselves a day off the teachers that I know don't they consider it a bloody nuisance and it certainly does not make it a "day off work" for them at all, it makes a lot of extra work. Most teachers just want to do that .. teach...

Well that is a rather impractical suggestion. They at one of my daughters schools already do a five and a half day week.

A lot of parents complain about that too;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

One thing I have noticed of the few I've seen they seem to be very simple box like buildings lacking windows, that done for security reasons or is there another reason?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes they just don't do birthdays or Christmas come to that !...

Wonder if their mum and dad read them parable of the prodigal daughter;-?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've absolutely no idea. The only contact (other than the inevitable calls at the door) that I've had with Witnesses was the neighbours across the road and as kids, religion and all related to it wasn't something that'd even cross our minds to discuss.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

En el artículo , GB escribió:

It doesn't make commercial sense for Adam to pay them to spend all day on Fakebook, Twatter and endlessly txting their mates.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Totally agree. Also I give children far more credit than today's are credited with. Parents and teachers can occasionally get things wrong and kids know this and will accept it, if the mistake is genuine. Even more controversial is the feminisation of teaching. The male teachers of the past were far more black and white and everyone knew where they stood. Now it's all more touchy-feely, with everyone thinking they can push the boundaries, which if course they do! Fundamentally it's for the individual to fit into the community, not for the community to try and be all things to all folk.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Or, simple consequences of actions. Not really rocket science.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do that and you're out! Even before Savile!

Seriously, put an arm round an upset primary school child and you're on the way to the exit.