Apprentices and charity work

On Sunday 08 September 2013 15:08 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You are joking???

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've not, but know several who are/were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sunday 08 September 2013 15:32 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So they do their lesson plans, prep and other paperwork in lesson time?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just putting in hours doesn't make someone good at their job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sunday 08 September 2013 16:23 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have just had it confirmed by one of mine that there are some kids getting their food cut up for them in thye lower primary school years.

They do not even make them finish the mains befor ethey are allowed pudding

- this I have seen with my own eyes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 08 September 2013 18:19 GB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I run 170 servers on a VMWare cluster I also installed and designed the wiring for.

Having also done electrical work, I do not see a huge difference between electical work and about 75% of my job. The other 25% crosses into something approximating to engineering.

Most of the time, I see a problem, locate it, and fix it. Then work out how to stop that problem or similar ones happening. Or be given a request and implement it.

Much of the stuff that looks clever is an accumulation of standard tools and tricks, some adapted. The "clever" bit is having a big enough set of tools and the logical nous to utilise them.

For some reason, my job requires a numerate degree. It doesn't really need one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And what is the average total lesson time per week when taken over a working year (46 weeks - includes an allowance for holidays/bank holidays)?

In my part of the country the schools are open for "lessons" for the equivalent of 38 weeks a year.

This doesn't include the extra holidays the teachers award themselves when a single flake of snow falls and 100s of schools in the area close for the day.

Reply to
alan

I didn't say that it did. I was replying to your assertion that 'the myth that all teachers work many hours in excess of actual teaching ones is just that'.

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

When U get a moment Dave come up here and argue that with SWMBO and some of her colleagues;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thats not the teachers awarding themselves extra days off it causes more grief for then when it happens in lost time and catching up with missed teaching work!...

Reply to
tony sayer

"Wrong, Do it again!"

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

"You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"

Tough, maybe, but life isn't a picnic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not sure if it is a nationwide ruling, or just county by county, but locally in the event of a school closing due to snow, or the teachers not being able to get to their own school due to snow, they have to report to their nearest accessible school to assist there.

Unfortunately those that have no experience of the amount of work that most teachers do will ever believe, or understand, the unpaid hours that they put in.

Maybe those that think it is such a cushy profession should take it up?

Reply to
Bill

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

Seems it gets worse!.

Just wonder who let t us get into this state of affairs?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Hi Tony.

Ditto.

Reply to
Bill

Indeed. Teacher, doctor - vocation my arse. They want more money, the "vocation" notion goes straight out the window.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I can see teaching or medicine as being a vocation, along with being a vet or a priest or similar. But that's about it. To associate "not a vocation" with manual work only is just strange.

Reply to
Adrian

You only have to watch Jeremy Kyle to get a glimpse of the example set to many children, plus if the children are then chastised by the school, the 'parents' are down there immediately causing mayhem. People condemn Kyle, but he's actually the only one to tell it how it is and criticise the behaviour to their faces. Meanwhile the taxpayer just goes on financing the abuse of the children.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I was recently working with a guy, early 20s, and he made an appointment to see the head of his kid's school to ask why a teacher had shouted at his boy and upset him. The boy had been misbehaving and was verbally admonished. The father said he was going to lay the law down with the school that the teacher's behaviour was wrong and he wanted an apology and assurances that it would not happen again. His kid of course could do no wrong, he was just expressing himself.

Reply to
Bill

It's exactly that and for the slightest of excuses! The last time it happened around my way many of the schools announced they they were closing the night before. The next day it was a normal rush hour for the rest of us going to work. The only people missing from work were those with unexpected child care duties.

it causes more

I assume that catching up with lost teaching means that the kids also have to attend for extra days to make up for the days when the school was closed.

Reply to
alan

Huh! I had an interview at George Kents (remember them?). There was a session where various contraptions with the working parts hidden were held up before the applicants. We were asked to sketch out the hidden mechanisms.

At the follow up interview I was asked if I had any interest in the electrical side of the business:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb