Apprentices and charity work

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Reply to
Bob Eager

But not the 6 you claimed.

Anyway, 8 hours. You think there's time for lunch breaks?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm glad to say that the school my children attend does allow the staff to give children a cuddle when they are upset. I'd hate for that to be stopped.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

And then ther's all the marking, because sure as hell there isn't time during the school day.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, quite. My son is a hardware engineer in a data centre; he'll have put lots of things together, but I'm pretty sure he's never had to put a plug on a flex.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Still looking to argue...

What is it about you that you make wholly inaccurate assumptions?

I taught for 35 years, my 'spouse' taught for 20 years. I know what I'm talking about from first-hand experience.

Did it ever occur to you that those who manage just fine within the allotted time only appear to do so? Did it ever occur to you that they may be doing a lousy job? Did it ever occur to you that those who spend ages extra do so to provide an excellent education for pupils who only get one chance? Screw up one day for them and they'll never get that day back.

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Some teachers union leaders might be intent on going on strike but the majority won't even bother to vote.

Reply to
bert

Exactly, so his point is meaningless.

Reply to
Bob Eager

He hasn't, but he's been to school so he thinks he does...

Tacit acceptance of a strike.

Don't want to strike? Vote no. It's not hard.

Reply to
Adrian

Problem is, society is set up to select against this. I've spent the last 20 years pouring a quarter of my income into my pension because I wish to be able to afford to stay alive in forty years' time. But as soon as I'm unemployed the DWP point at my pension and say: assets! f*** off! and explicitly instruct me to somehow get my future self to pop some money into a time machine and send it back to me.

I've currently got a form to fill out and it's impossible to fill it out to reflect the reality that at this moment in time my pension is an *outgoing*, it is only possible to fill out the form to declare my pension as an asset.

Thank $DIETY that my next job starts in a couple of weeks and I'll just wipe off four week's benefit as a lost cause.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

That's how it should be but it only takes one bolshy parent with a futile imagination and the brown stuff hits the fan in a big way.

At an interview last week I was asked about my last-but-two job and I was struggling to answer something other than: because being alive costs money, and that was the only thing I could force anybody to pay me to do.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Dave...

A friend of my wife's her husband teaches at the school which our daughter goes to. He leaves home around 7-45, works all day and then comes home at around 8-30 most all evenings of the week.

He has to work on Saturdays as well.

The stupid sod is an excellent science teacher and is very involved with his work. He does a lot more than what he's contracted to do and this seems to be the way of it these days, for a lot of teaching staff in most schools especially senior ones.

Once home he's rarely to bed before 11 having to do a lot of marking and prep for the next day..

I'd not call him lazy perhaps too bloody stupid to do what he does and the hours he puts in but that it seems is the way of it and is the teachers lot these days.

Yes of course they have those longer holidays but he's back at school a while before the term starts sort out this and that etc.

A science teacher at my other daughters Sixth form college is virtually no different, much the same for him too..

Perhaps its just the job these days?. Perhaps its not quite like how it used to be perhaps more is expected of them?.

But in those two instances not good at their job isn't the phrase I'd use at all;!.

Perhaps too dedicated to their jobs is the one I'd use;).....

Reply to
tony sayer

Correct. Thass because forms are to be filled in, not out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So I guess he doesn't shorten mains cables so that they fit properly in the cable management system then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That will be tidying up the school after the mess the workmen left inside the school following the rewire/new heating/new roof that happenend during in the school holidays:-)

Reply to
ARW

They were taught in my school in the 1980s. It was called "Design for Living" back then. It's supposedly part of some alphabet soup nowadays.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Its referred to as "Well-being" in these parts;!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Some people - like me - just are physically not morning people. I can a solid 12+ hours, but not if I'm starting at oh-god-o'clock. If I'm forced into work at crack of dawn I'm useless unless I'm sitting drinking tea gradually waking up. Whenever I've had input into my hours I organise things to start at about 10am, and aim to get into work for about 9-ish and "potter" and have a couple of cups of tea. If I'm fixed into an earlier start it means I spend most of Saturday asleep catching up.

In the worst job I had my manager was a lark, and insisted all her staff get into work at 7:30am because she did.

JGH

Reply to
jgh