Apprentices and charity work

What you never had "head on the desk time" or "quite reading time" or... whilst the teacher marked a pile of exercise books? Two a minute seemed to be about her (not to be sexist but most primary teachers are female) speed a lot faster than it took to do the work.

Reply to
soup

EU Working Time Directive.

The *only* break that the WTD lays down is 20 mins after 6 hours and that cannot be at the beginning or end of a period of work. Any other breaks are a bonus not an entitlement.

So you could start working at 0800 work right through non stop to

1400, have 20 mins "lunch", then work through to 2020 quite legally and still have 40 mins before your hit the 11 hours rest in 24hrs. Note that travel time to the normal place of work isn't counted, so if you have an hours commute each way, you leave home at 0700 getting back at 2120. A normalish sort of "working day" for me.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So what is the average per week?

You've not explained what work she does in the holidays. Or for what proportion of them. What you did suggest was she got no holidays at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here - but with generally shorter travelling time. Common *working* day length was 0800 - 1900. And never once saw a neighbour's car - who was a deputy head - not there when I left or arrived back. Apart when he was away on holiday, of course. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

perhaps he didn't use the car to get to work ;-)

Reply to
charles

Heh heh - he did. Beneath his dignity to travel on PT with his pupils.

He was a strange bloke. Knocked on the door one day and asked if I'd got any engine oil. He'd been checking his car and it was low. There are two filling stations and a Halfords within a mile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I knew (she sadly died of cancer) a head teacher who lived no more than 200 yds from her school. She drove her husband's prized MGB there and back. "The headmistress cannot be seen arriving on foot!"

Reply to
charles

On Thursday 12 September 2013 09:24 soup wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In primary school? When you are working, the teacher is helping *someone* pretty much all the time.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Perhaps she needs long holidays to look after the goat?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's the point that has been made! The difference between the time actually teaching in the classroom and the number of hours worked by someone in another full time job is equivalent to at least 15 weeks a year, and for many jobs probably closer to 18 weeks. This should ample time for preparation, especially after the first few years of teaching the same subject. Even during term time up to 5 days is spent in teacher training and I doubt if all teachers are in front of a class 100% of the time the kids are at school.

Reply to
alan

You must be joking. Syllabi change frequently. Rules and government requirements change frequently. Most teachers have to teach other classes outside thewir main subject, not necessarily the same every year.

And that's not work? It certainly isn't holiday.

No, but in excess of 95% unless they are management. Free periods cost the school a lot of money and they are minimised as far as possible.

The trouble is that opinions of teachers (fed by lies from Gove) are largely based on conjecture and supposition. Everyone thinks they 'know' how schools work, and they don't.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps your experience of schools is of the ones that don't "work". Poor management often results in unnecessary processes and reporting.

It's likely that most of the bureaucracy is self imposed - at school level.

In the company I work for, 30% redundancies, mainly in administrative staff, means that permission to go to the toilet no longer requires signed permission from 3 layers of management. Many of the previous processes have been abandoned or streamlined suggesting many were not required in the first place.

Reply to
alan

My experience of schools includes one local to me that has had "Outstanding" as the Ofsted report on the last couple of inspections and I agree with Bob's views.

While I have a lot of sympathy for the long hours that the teachers and LSAs work I also have a lot left over for the management. No matter how you work out the maths it is still not possible to get a quart into a pint pot.

Trying to balance the varying level of staff experience with classes is no easy matter.

Reply to
Bill

Again - conjecture. And that's all. Clearly you like to be an expert on things about which you have no experience.

Reply to
Bob Eager