Apprentices and charity work

Well one went because he chose his mobile phone over work, there is not a lot I can do about that. One left because he lost his driving license and could no longer get to work. Other than the mobile phone I had no issues with them

Now the third one. I did not work much with him. But how do you motivate someone who deliberately does half a job, lies, refuses to do what you ask him and answers back. Well I got sick it so I grabbed him by the throat slammed him against a wall put my fist to his face and shouted "answer back to me once more and I'll smash your face in". Well that stopped the answering back but he still had no interest in the job so he was fired. You cannot force them to be interested.

Reply to
ARW

That's it in a nutshell

Reply to
stuart noble

Why does one need to be an expert in something to be allowed to suggest, from anecdotal evidence, that someone else might be doing something wrong.

There must be a way of filtering out some of the no-hopers here.

People who aren't interested when they get the job usually aren't convincing when interviewed about why they want it (I accept that there are some false positives and negatives).

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Maths and English are normally a must.

They are all pretty much the same at interview. 16 years old and wishing they were still in bed and that their Mother could take the interview for them. These are not the A* students you have to interview:-). You only find out what they are like when they start. The obvious rubbish can be spotted and rejected at interview but generally you are looking at clones.

Remember the 35 year old apprentice? He passed all his exams but after a year on the tools he was no better than when he started. He could not be left on his own unless it was simple tasks and you were constantly covering old ground eg if he had not wired a timed fan up for 2 months then you would have to show him how to do it again.

And there those that have already done a year at college, they seem to be the worst when it comes to work ethic.

Reply to
ARW

and what do you mean by that? Does it stop the person doing the job?

It's a question that if you did ask (and act upon the answer) could see you on the wrong end of a discrimination suit

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The Plymouth Brethren manage to fish on the high seas doing all the jobs on board (and on land) required for that. Their restrictions tend to be confined to what would be broadly called leisure activities. Since Adam seems to complain most about his 'lads' not concentrating on their work, is this a bad thing? It would be if you want a companion down the pub to talk about last night's TV, etc, I suppose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , tim..... scribeth thus

Place where we go sometimes has a young lady there who's miss industry herself, an excellent worker and just gets on with the job no problems at all. Her guv'nor speaks very highly of her and can't praise her enough.

But don't expect her to join in with any outside work activities she just won't do that at all .. Shes in the witnesses ..

Reply to
tony sayer

Those who are interested should google 'time-span of discretion'

Essentially how far ahead people think or can be trusted to think, in terms of theoractions and decisions.

Interestingly., people who routinely lie have very short time spans of discretion. They are not concerned about anything beyond the moment, and getting through it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most of them do it because they can get a bit more benefit f it looks like they are trying to get work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why not ask them some simple questions about electricity, wiring, use of tools etc. If they had any genuine interest, they would have surely turned their hands to something along those lines. If they know nothing, I wouldn't give them the time of day because it's just a waste on time and money.

As for the phone contract, that should also be explained and accepted during the interview.

But the bottom line is that they're raised on a diet of entitlement and not responsibility but addressing that is like trying to turn the Titanic.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

He might be qualified, but he has not actually done any charity work yet. He relies on call outs to use his skills and he has not had a call out yet. Still it's good to know that if needed he will be there.

Reply to
ARW

I probably have not made clear how many are f***ed off at the interview stage. Turning up with trousers hanging down their arse, hands in pockets, slouching and absolutely nothing to say. One of them burst into tears when asked why he wanted to become an electrician. FFS what chance did he have?.

Now the mobile phone contract is new, this one already worked for us when it was brought in and he refused to sign it. Other than that he was a good worker and learner, but he is paid to do 8 hours work a day not 6 hours work and 2 hours pissing about on facebook.

Reply to
ARW

Hmmmm, when I got my first job as an apprentice I would probably have floundered if asked why I wanted to become a heating engineer. Who interviews them Adam? Somebody hands on or somebody sat all day in the office?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Bonus for doing the job right, even if that's just you digging into your pocket to buy him a Mars bar? Or even just praise for doing well? It does sound like you (maybe the whole firm) haven't got the hang of how to deal with these kids.

Maybe because you are down on him like a ton of bricks every time he makes a mistake?

I have given up having staff, as they never did what I wanted. It turns out that I was lousy at managing staff and giving clear instructions ....

Ohmigod! Never!

What's the point, anyway, as you probably don't listen?

I'm quite surprised that he didn't get his phone out and dial 999.

No, you can't make them interested. Well, you can't. Other people might be able to.

Reply to
GB

It's a daft question, really. Some jobs are a vocation - missionary, teacher, doctor, etc. But nobody has a vocation to be an electrician. It's just a way to earn a living that's quite interesting and involves a mixture of mental and manual skills.

Reply to
GB

Probably .. If someone else or more then the someone else had tried to drum a few things into him when he was younger then you wouldn't have to be doing that now;!...

Well from what I've seen of young people I can see where Adam is coming from. There're not all spoilt poorly bought up and unmotivated 'tho a lot are sadly .. they have sod all idea of what its like being out at work and having to get of their arses and earn their own money...

Reply to
tony sayer

Can't believe what I'm hearing. These kids certainly *look* like a waste of space, but to have it verified from the coal face is a little disturbing. I wonder if they know how close they are to the scrap heap, which won't be much fun in 10 years time. Perhaps they'll be penned in on reservations, along with anyone else society doesn't need.

Reply to
stuart noble

No wonder manual skills are so much looked down on in the UK.

Plenty of teachers just fall into the job because it's one they think they understand - after all everyone goes to school. That, and the short hours, holidays and pension.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I've wanted building work done that's outside my area of ability/ time, I try to get one local building firm (but they're very booked up).

All Witnesses.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not sure what short hours they would be.

Reply to
Bob Eager