Charity

Anyone know how much the worker drones get for their efforts these days? I got stopped a few times lately and asked to supply them with £10 a mont h. When I suggested a fiver a month he turned me down. I would have thought £5.00 better than a demand to eff off. But no. I told him that his bosses must be on good money to be so choosy. So how do es their remuneration scheme work?
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Last time I had one at the door signing up for the RSPCA, the first two years worth of donations went to the company signing up the donors, then after that it went to the charity ...
On Friday, 5 June 2015 20:19:17 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Bloody hell! I was feeling guilty for feeling self satisfied about hitting the get out of charity free card. That is one hell of a lot of dough but ev en so I doubt the actual canvasser sees much of that. I'm actually beginnin g to feel angry at the arm wrestling that goes on with the damned beggars t hese days.
Ever read diary of a supertramp?
On Friday, 5 June 2015 20:49:56 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

g the get out of charity free card. That is one hell of a lot of dough but even so I doubt the actual canvasser sees much of that. I'm actually beginn ing to feel angry at the arm wrestling that goes on with the damned beggars these days.
The flipside is that without all that there would be far less good work don e. If only the best of both could be had somehow.
Its not normally 2 years btw.
NT
No, but one of the problems that has put me off charity giving is the way so many people are on the take. Take Nepal, for example. There are still officials over their creaming money off the top of all the aid in exchange for allowing help to be given.
Corruption at Fifa is nothing until you attempt to send money to aid people abroad. Those people are parasites making money from others suffering in my view. The lady I used to know, she died, worked for Tear fund in Afghanistan, and said the factions out there, were all on the take at the expense of the poor and downtrodden masses. No wonder you can never help such countries.
As for this country, I find the attitude to legacies very irritating they will accept houses when you die, as long as there are no strings attached. They prefer the money, and certainly do not want the hassle of selling valuable collections unless they are worth over a million due to the admin.
If that was so, how come they can run charity shops? Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Perhaps because they use volunteer labour.
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 05/06/2015 23:57, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

That is debatable. Have you ever seen them collecting for the RNLI?
--
Colin Bignell

I haven't, but the RNLI do have flag days.
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 06/06/2015 10:47, charles wrote:

Indeed, but the collectors are RNLI volunteers and supporters, not employees of professional collecting companies. All the money donated goes straight to the RNLI.
--
Colin Bignell

On 06/06/2015 11:04, Nightjar <"cpb"@ wrote:

There are two ways of looking at that though. People often feel uneasy when not all the money collected goes to the charity. However the better fund raising companies will be able to take what is donated, and spend it on bigger higher profile events and promotions, that in turn drag in far more money than the sum raised in the first place. Of that they will take a sizeable cut of the profits.
So you may end up with a situation where you could have 100% of donations (say £5k), or let the fund raisers speculate with the money, and say generate £20k - of which they take £10k and you take £10K.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 06/06/2015 13:12, John Rumm wrote:

Why can't the fund raising manager of the charity do the same?

Except that they are only legally bound to pass on £2k of that £20k.
The main advantage of the collection companies is that they guarantee the charity a minimum income, which makes budgeting much easier.
--
Colin Bignell

On Saturday, 6 June 2015 15:31:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

If they're in a position to do so, they do. Many aren't. Its not exactly a trivial task to get collecting teams out.

,

.

usually untrue.

NT

When does the law, rather than any commercial contract they may enter into with a charity, require them to give more, or perhaps you mean less?
--
Colin Bignell

On Saturday, 6 June 2015 16:16:09 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

ey,

0K.

k.

Its the contract that usually requires more. When it doesn't, the charity t akes 10% of the drive because they believe its the best they can get. I don 't object to that in principle, but I do believe that percentage should be stated upfront to donors.
NT
On 06/06/2015 15:30, Nightjar <"cpb"@ wrote:

No reason, if they have the skills, contacts, and experience etc.

One hopes the more ethical will exceed the legal minimum.

--
Cheers,

John.
On Sunday, 7 June 2015 01:56:02 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Its an involved task, its not as if you can simply recruit some volunteers and give them forms to go out with.
NT
On Saturday, 6 June 2015 11:04:32 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

anything can be done on a small scale with volunteers. Scale it up 100x and you don't get the volunteers.
NT

The RNLI is the seventh largest charity in the UK.
--
Colin Bignell

On Saturday, 6 June 2015 15:14:11 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

And all UK charities is far larger than just the 7th.
In the end its really down to the potential donor to fund out what they're funding, and decide accordingly.
NT

Your claim was that you couldn't get volunteers except when working on a small scale. Were that true then it should affect the RNLI, but it doesn't.
--
Colin Bignell