Concrete block paving on a thin (mortar) bed?

What would be likely to go wrong (initially or over time) if 50mm concrete block paving were laid on a *thin* (perhaps 20mm) bed of sand over concrete? Or on a thin mortar bed over concrete? Only traffic will be very light pedestrian - it's a short path in a back garden.

I ask as the path has grotty 450mm slabs laid on top of what looks like a pretty solid, if old and rough, concrete base. Removing slabs and mortar would be easy . Removing concerete and laying a conventional base for blocks would be a pain. Even just sticking a thick layer of sand on top of the base would I think leave the top too high.

Reply to
Robin

I can't see any problem once you can get a decent sub base that is not going to move about. Then the normal rules of block paving apply - restrain the edges properly, and lay them on a compacted bed of git sand. Laid with concrete under the paving will be impermeable, so will need proper drainage.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. Where the water goes with the joints not mortared is one of the many, many things that worried me.

Reply to
Robin

Ah yes. Thanks.

Very many thanks for that.

Also, I forgot to mention the path slopes a bit - around 1 in 25. May I ask if this means the kiln dried sand will need topping up more often because water which cannot drain through the base will wash it down the path?

Understood, thanks.

Reply to
Robin