Poured concrete slab or paving slabs for oil tank?

Paving slabs might rock, no? I reckon an unbroken concrete base (shuttering, cement mixer etc) would be a lot better.

How thick? 100mm enough? The back of the garden is mostly in shade at ground level, so the soil is normally quite damp and soft.

MM

Reply to
MM

You'll likely need planning permission for an impervious surface

Reply to
Jim Chisholm

What's the size and (full) weight of the tank?

Reply to
Roger Mills

/What's the size and (full) weight of the tank? /Q

Less psi than a person

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

There is already one there for the old oil tank. It just needs extending about 30cm at front and on side to site the new tank at legal distance from combustible material.

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh, that's good to hear. Thanks. Any particular ones, or just bog-standard Yorkshire-type slabs from Jewsons or similar?

Okeydoke.

MM

Reply to
MM

It'll be a 1000 litre bunded tank. According to the specs of various types, the weight will probably be around 130kg for the empty tank, plus what 1000 litres weigh, which according to my pocket calculator is around 820kg, making 950kg in total, max.

MM

Reply to
MM

OK, so think in terms of what sort of surface you'd be happy to stand a car on. Pressed granite slabs laid on sand over hardcore should be ok. Lay them level to make sure that all the tank's contact points are in the same plane so as not to cause any twisting.

Reply to
Roger Mills

/OK, so think in terms of what sort of surface you'd be happy to stand a car on. Pressed granite slabs laid on sand over hardcore should be ok. /Q

?pressed granite??

A car has 4 contact points 1 on each tyre, a plastic oil tank will have many more than this or actually 1 large one (it's Base) like mine....

the Base is supposed to be impermeable so that leaks don't hideaway unseen.

I think the op needs the regs here not some armchair expert....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Sounds good. Thanks!

MM

Reply to
MM

Something like this:

Maybe granite isn't quite the right description - but certainly pressed, and I always thought that the concrete contained granite chips (BICBW).

Reply to
Roger Mills

I would ask the tank manufacturer for advice. A car wont mind if the surface is not flat, or sinks a bit. The tank may crack.

I think some tanks I have seen are on lintels, usually sitting on two piers.

Reply to
Michael Chare