Charity & Woodworking

I curious about the woodworker groups that make toys for kids. I've done a Google search but only came up with a few, and none near me (New Mexico) do any of you participate in such an organization

Mike

Reply to
asmurff

"asmurff" wrote in news:_sKdnXx2aLCcOFjbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

See if you can find a local woodworking club, and ask there. Our club has such an effort, with significant output and effort on the part of several dozen of the group. There isn't one of them not proud of the work they do, but not one of them would claim that it's something that makes them special. It's something that makes them feel useful and helpful, and doing something for kids that really need it.

Another path to take would be to ask at your local government social services location. If there is a group doing this, they might know.

The thing is, this is pretty simple woodworking, for the most part. It doesn't take fancy woods, or fancy tools, or complex finishing schedules. A couple of folks, doing something for a couple of weeks, or a couple of mornings per week, can put out a large volume of toys based on simple production methods.

You could be one of those guys. And you'd be surprised who would want to help.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

My woodworking club has given away many thousands of toy cars, trucks, other toys, bird houses and tool totes to children. Most of this give-away occurs at our annual shows but it is also done at fairs, festivals, and other public events.

For our November '07 and April '08 shows I'm the chair for The Toy Factory. We're taking a little different approach to things this time... The kids will assemble their own tool tote with help from club members rather than just take them... We're already starting to make 500+ tool tote kits. The wood is being custom sawn and planed to 3/8" and 5/8" thickness by a mill that saws with a 36" bandsaw. The club's members will dimension it. For assembly, glue and 1" hand-nailed brads will be used. I designed the kit and prototyped it with Cub Scouts and siblings last spring and children as young as five assembled them with help from 9 year olds.

The members supported my proposal to have the kids get involved in the assembly as we are an educational organization. Having adults come up and take 2, 3, 4+ toys for their grandchildren, nieces, etc., had worn thin... What connection would the kid have to the toy, to tools, or to the club?

John Treasurer for the Mid-Hudson chapter of Northeastern Woodworkers Association

John Grossbohlin

Thanks I'll check these different venues or maybe start my own.

Reply to
asmurff