Charity Plant Stall

Hi Please can anyone help with ideas for a plant stall we have just decided to have at our School charity fundraiser at the end of March?! I am new to gardening and just don't know what might be possible....I know its only 5 weeks away so I was wondering if herb seeds or bulbs might grow enough to sell in that time? I will contact my local garden centre to see if they can help but any other ideas gratefully received. GN

Reply to
Garden Novice

Depending on age group?

I find kids like basil plants, pleasant smell, would need to start seeds now in kits. Seed starting kits as well as seeds for sale. Look for children's books on growing plants. Small bags of soil to go with the seed kits. Bird houses for a start.

Could also give away little kids experiments like a bean seed and little soil inside a small clear plastic bag so kids can see the plant sprouting from their bean seed, bean seeds are cheapest. We put a string with the small seed bag to wear over their head so they do not have carry them. This is usually done at earth fairs here in the US. At Earth fair we give away about 1000 basil plants and bean seed bags. Kids have a good time.

Reply to
Nad R

Typically, radishes come in a number of cultivators, germinate in 4 - 12 days, and mature in 20 - 40 days.

Reply to
Billy

Hi, Just a couple of ideas that may help ! Firstly, if you are in the UK ?? find your nearest car boot sale and offer any plant sellers the chance of a stall at your fete, maybe you could do a deal for a percentage of thier takings ?? Rather than go to your local garden centre (but try that anyway) Find any local wholesale nurseries that produce plants for the trade, they might be more amiable to letting you have some plants for a charity do ?? Contact your local gardening club, often someone will have a few plants to spare and just maybe between now and your fete, you'll muster enough for a display. I think you have left it a bit late to grow anything but another thing you could do (im doing this at present) go to BandQ but any golden thyme and cut them into 4 or 5 and repot them. They cost about £2.99 and if you get 5 plants from each pot, sell at £1.50 each, then thats a good profit ?? I think your time is best spent doing things like that, rather than trying to grow things from scratch. lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman

Bulbs would have needed to already be in to lool good in 5 weeks time but if you can find someone who has a big blob of bulbs then it might be worth trying to dig up the clump, divide them and pot them up. Also if you can find someone who has a lot of thyme plants, they are easy to dig up and to pot up and since they have nice fibrous roots they also take well to being transplanted into pots. Wandering round a jungly garden is another good way to identify plants for fund raising eg, flowering shrubs that have rooted into paths (rosemary and viburnum come to mind in my own garden) and, in the flower line so does scabious and chrysanthemum. I'd also be thinking about my foxtail lilies and lilies which have giant bulbs, these cost quite a lot to buy but which breed quite happily in my garden - people always buy those big bulbs because they are good value.

Go for a wander round the neigbourhood and ask any gardeners you see what they've bought at fund raising stalls and also what they would recommend you to pot up. I'll bet pounds to peanuts that if you do that, you'll not only get good advice, but you'll also get some plant material or donations for your stall.

Reply to
FarmI

:-)) someone else who recognises the advantages of thyme!

Reply to
FarmI

Correction: 'to look good in 5 weeks'.

Reply to