Orchid assistance requested.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my orchid and how to treat it? The orchid is inside in potting mix. We are trying not to over-water the plant. I did put a few drops of Orchid Grow in the pot about 3 weeks ago. Any ideas gratefully received

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: IMG00127-20111028-2000.jpg |Download:
|Filename: IMG00126-20111028-1959.jpg |Download:
octatonic

Pull it out of the mix and inspect the roots. It looks like typical rot from over watering. That could be the potting mix or the pot not allowing thorough drainage. If the roots are sound, wash the plant and remove the rotted stuff and replant in airy medium (we use bark chunks) in a self draining pot (we use plastic post with side and bottom holes and just set that in a decorative pot to keep the drainage from going all over). If you think you have a fungus, try some cinnamon powder sprinkled over the area. It works great for me!

Good luck.

Reply to
RayC

Thanks Ray,

I will try this today. You are right, the pot is in a non-self-draining pot.

What mix of dirt/bark/anything else do I need?

many thanks

Reply to
octatonic

I just use medium Orchid Bark chips. Fine stuff or dirt holds too much moisture and can rot the roots. Your plant doesn't need any dirt ... just enough chips or bark to keep it upright in the pot.

Good luck!

Reply to
RayC