Large Holly Hedge pushing over low wall

We have a large holly hedge between our front garden and the pavement. It is pushing over the front wall which is now starting to collapse. Is there any way of preserving the hedge? What would happen if we just removed the wall and left the hedge as it is? Any other suggestions to avoid removing hedge?

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: back of hedge.jpg | |Download:
||Filename: holly hedge.JPG | |Download:
||Filename: wall damage.jpg | |Download:
Tony Wolff

hedge and all the soil the wall held back. You need a plan to remove the old wall (looks pretty shabby anyway, it's crumbling and not long for the world) and immediately erect a new wall, but I'd not use masonary or before too very long you'll be right back to the same place again. Were it me I'd use bulkheading lumber such is used at seashores... it's expensive but you don't need a whole lot, it will last forever, at least your forever. I like the vertical piling retaining wall shown on this page:

can do this project a few feet at a time. It may pay to obtain say a 6-8 inch auger for digging.... you can use sections of round utility poles too. The most difficult part will likely be removing the old masonary wall and whatever footing.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I agree.

It's the roots of the holly pushing on the wall. If you remove the wall and try to replace it, you're going to need to use something that has less depth or you'll need to trim the roots back.

There's a limit to how much of the roots you can remove, I think 3 or 4 inches but you'll need the wall removed to be sure.

Either way, the roots will continue to grow and push.

Nice looking hollies, can't blame you for wanting to save them.

Reply to
despen