Advice on what to plant in a north facing border in northern climes...

Hello

As a gardening newbie, I hope you can give some advice as in what to plant in a north facing border in Edinburgh.

We have a north facing border at the side of our house. It gets very little sun even in the height of summer and has been hardly used for anything for several years.

I would like to make something of it but have no real clue as to what would thrive there (other than the multitude of weeks that have just been dug up). It is not visible from the exterior due to a high hedge so aesthetics are not the only consideration, but as it is visible from the house either something nice and colourful or something practical (eg veg) might work for us.

Any suggestions / hints / tips gratefully received as to what to plant and / or how to ensure there is sufficient nutrition in the soil gratefully received.

Reply to
AdeTheJambo

I grow Hosta in almost total shade. The plants grow well.

Reply to
Dan Espen

ferns hostas bleeding heart ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo