Suitable Plants for a family garden on a budget. Advice please!

I'm a real beginner & would like to start planning my summer garde

porject. any advice is gratefully received! I have two small gardens, one front & one in back of the house... Th front garden is very rarely used but has some fantastic old (reall old) rose bushes which I have pruned according to advice from colleague. I'd like to know what to plant in our borders to create cheap Wow factor. I need plants which are brightly coloured and fill u the space nicely. In the back garden we have more rose bushes and a composter, this i the family garden where my one year old will play in the summer. Th space is communal and our plot backs onto the drying green. All tha stops the wee man running away is a strip of border (and a few viciou old roses). In the back garden I'd like to plant seeds that will gro tall and create a fence-like effect while still being colourful, fu and above all safe for the baby to eat as he insists on doin occasionally. Again I'd like the plants to grow quite wild and big t fill the space ( and surround the roses) rather than being uniorm an structured. But they also have to be cheap and not adverse to a bit o Scottish rain! Any advice given will be really gratefully received. This is my firs garden where I have had full creative license and I'd love to bot impress the neighbours and create a little summer haven for my family Many thanks

-- Courgette

Reply to
Courgette

You want to make a big impression? Try these:

link:
catalog says 2-1/2 feet tall. Nonsense. Mine reached 6 feet, and I gave them nothing but a shovel full of compost early in the season. Have some tall green stakes handy to support these monsters - you'll need them. Amazing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

> Alternate link:

These are easy to grow, are prolific bloomers and make lovely cut flowers. One of my all time favorites. Mine averaged about 4ft high.

One other thing you might do is to stroll through your neighborhood and let people, who are working in their gardens, know that you are planting your garden, are a novice wanting to learn and any advise they could give you would be appreciated. If you see a plant/flower you like ask about it. Most gardening people love to chat away about their gardens. I gave away plant divisions and slips to those who used to walk by and chat. You'll gather local information, plants and new friends all in one fell swoop.

Val

Reply to
Val

Browallia's another really nice flower. A little tricky to start from seed, though. Try it, but if they're not doing well by planting time, pick up a few at a garden center. They bloom non-stop until frost kills them, especially if you trim them back by a third every now and then when they look ratty.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks for that Joe, they look Fantastic! I'm so excited for the summe

coming now. Those 2 sunny days in August will be worth all my har work

-- Courgette

Reply to
Courgette

.................................................................. snipped Again I'd like the plants to grow quite wild and big to

Do you have any local garden clubs? Garden clubbers are always having fund raising plant sales. Plants are usually offered at very low prices, and you will be getting locally grown plants that are spreaders that volunteer and will do well in your area. Good luck with your WOW garden

Emilie Nor California

Reply to
mleblanca