Ideas please

I have a long bed running down my garden which was previously used for fruit bushes. The bushes had some disease a few years ago and the soil needs another year to recover before being putting back to fruit.

I'd like to use the space this year to create a riot of floral colour. The bed needs some weeding and digging so realistically I won't plant it up much before the end of June.

Has anyone got any brilliant ideas for what I could put in? The criteria is:

Needs to be looking great later this year eg September Sunny, south facing, gently sloping bed. Peaty, slightly acid soil. Sheltered on both sides by a hedge.

Possibly play the role of a cuttings garden - flowers for the house etc.

Ideally not annuals - don't like investing time and money on stuff that only lasts 1 year.

Ideally easy to transfer on somewhere else ie can plant there this year but move on to other borders next year to make space for fruit. Was thinking bulbs but maybe not the right time of year?

High visual impact (but more cottage gardeny than exotic)

Ideas anyone?

Reply to
senseofplace