Present ideas for my parents anniversary.

Hi all, it's my parents 35th wedding anniversary coming up and I wante

to get them a plant for their garden. 35 years is traditionally Coral and more recently Jade so I was hoping to find a plant incorporatin that in to it. I'd like to get something that they can plant now, and that flowers. was thinking of a Coral Honeysuckle. I'm not a gardener myself so wa just looking for some information and any other ideas people can com up with. I don't know what the soil type is I'm afraid; but they live in Surrey The garden is big so it doesn't matter wether the plant needs shade o not...all sorts available! Thanks for your help and guidance Holl

-- HollySimmons

Reply to
HollySimmons

This isn't really the best time of the year to plant shrubs, perennials or trees. How about giving them a nice houseplant now, and a gift certificate so they can buy what they like in the fall.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Have they a greenhouse? Jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys, might be an interesting choice.

corallina?
bark Japanese maple? (Acer palmatum 'Sango kaku')
know there are some very good nurseries in Surrey; they should be able to tell you what might grow well for your parents. I believe most of Surrey has neutral to slightly basic soils.

Another possibility for an anniversary, though you might have to look for it in the UK, is Euonymus americana. One of the common names is "hearts busting with love", or hearts-a-bursting, though probably better known as American strawberry bush.

are also some very nice peonies with "Coral" in the cultivar name. Peonies are quite hardy and long-lived, so that's another possibility. e.g.:
there's Paeonia mascula, aka Paeonia corallina, coral peony:

Kay Lancaster

There is Jade Plant, (Crassula) many kinds-- a house plant in all but warm winters Also Coral Bells. (Heuchera.) Many new kinds with beautiful foliage lime green, orange, purple, and some with colorful variegated leaves. Emilie Nor Cal

Reply to
mleblanca

ps: end of August is about when I'm used to planting peonies and iris; later in the fall for shrubs or trees. There are also some coral colors of bearded iris now, like Fire Bride:

or Awesome Blossom:
there's "coral iris", Iris foetidissima:

Kay Lancaster

The message from "Manelli Family" contains these words:

The OP's parents are in the UK, in our climate there's no problem planting at this time of year (shrubs perennials or even trees which were grown in containers)..

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Thanks for all the advice, I'll be looking in to them all and am sure t

find a lovely present for them :D Holl

-- HollySimmons

Reply to
HollySimmons