Woodsmith Anniversary Squares

Did anybody else order the anniversary squares from Woodsmith that were supposed to be delivered by Father's Day? I ordered the complete set of three for about $100.00. They have had a series of postponements and send out a note about them every three or four months. They also sent out a copy of their Jigs and Fixtures magazine as an apology.

I would like to know if anybody has received them yet? Are they worth the wait? Is anybody else still waiting?

They look nice and so far, I have only had to dish out about 20-25%. I don't feel that they pulled a scam or anything but I have held off buying other nice squares because I don't want to have a couple hundred dollars invested in squares. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Eric T

Reply to
robdingnagian1

Well, since you asked . . . . . . . . Father's Day was June. It is now December. Time to move on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was curious what was so special about these things, but I guess there was a deadline to order them. Anyway, I found a thread here ()

and a bunch of people that bought them received them in July, so if you're still waiting I'd be pretty ticked off and call Woodsmith demanding something more than a free magazine. This is even more reason to cancel, in my opinion (from that same thread):

"Got mine today. Very pretty. And I'm sending them back.

One isn't square. The blades are not ground flat, they curl up on both ends. And the scales are off. And couldn't they knock the sharp corners off the brass?

Since I was planing on using them, and not displaying them on a sheft I don't see any reason to keep them.

I got two sets, one for me and one as a present and they're both got the same problems.

bummer."

Guess it's up to you if they're worth it or not.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

()

That was the reason for the delay. There was a huge quality issue with the ones that were sent out and they received a lot more orders than they expected. They mentioned that in their letters. They basically re-did all the ones that were sent out initially and got pretty far behind. There are plenty of companies out there that would have gone with the inferior product and left it at that. I'm actually impressed that they are hellbent to get them right. If this were some fly by night operation, I would have definitely accepted their offer to cancel months ago. I do think that Woodsmith and August Home Publishing are very reputable and not likely to screw me on this. So far, they're sitting on $20 or $25 of my money. I could get it back, but haven't been convinced yet. I'm pretty much done woodworking for the winter and don't really need them immediately. Thanks for the reference to the post. I'll read that thread.

Eric T

Reply to
robdingnagian1

Got a buddy that ordered them, they sent him a letter saying they where having manufacturing problems, and sent him a free router book back on July.

Reply to
Richard Clements

Have not rcvd my prder yet. But last time I spoke to them they mentioned the quality issues and apologized for not having them to me. I don't mind because I'd rather have the planes sent to me once.

mikey.

Reply to
mikey