Advice on Lemon scented plants

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a major garden redesign. I'm trying to create a sensory garden for my toddler and want to have lots I scented plants. As I love lemon I'd like to incorporate a range of lemon plants/herbs but I've never planted these before and wondered if anyone had any advice or experience. I would love a mix of larger bushy and smaller border type plants but I'm after the scent most importantly.

I live in Devon - I'm not sure if this has an impact climate wise.

Any comments gratefully received!

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
gmb27

There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses, and geraniums. (Be careful about mints; they can be agressively invasive.) If you do not get snow in the winter, you might even try a dwarf lemon tree; lemons are among the hardiest of citrus. (Limes are the least hardy citrus.)

However, I am not familiar with your climate and cannot make any serious recommendations.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla or Aloysia ciriodora)

The first is hardy. The second should be hardy in Devon (provided you aren't high up on one of the moors!).

Indoors, one of the lemon-scented pelargoniums would be a good choice. Also try Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon). You can easily grow this by buying some fresh stems in a supermarket, and putting them in shallow water, where they will root after several weeks. Once rooted, pot them up, and keep well-watered in a warm, sunny place.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Lemon Myrtle (Backhousia citriodora) - can be used in cooking too.

Reply to
Farm1

Brooklyn1

NOW you tell me!!!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Clay chimney flues are longer length, last longer, and look much nicer... available at any masonry supply.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I actually have a bunch of clay sewer pipes, approx 18" tall? left here years ago by a worker? I use them as decorative -- objets d'art

-- but I can see how they might work on invasive plants -- if sunk deep enuff into the ground

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

18" is 3"-4" taller than the typical contractor's bucket... clay flues come in longer lengths too but I think 18" is plenty.
Reply to
Brooklyn1