Ligustrum/Privet

I need to plant a 100' hedge (screen) that grows fairly rapidly to 8'.

It boils down to a choice of Dodonea (Purple Hopseed Bush) or Privet. I prefer the privet but am bewildered by the biological names.

A nearby nursery sells "Texas Privet" at a reasonable price.($10 for 5 Gal). As I understand it, Texas Privet is the same as Ligustrum Japonicum and thus will reach 8 to 12'.

How can I make sure that I am getting Ligustrum Japonicum, as opposed to some smaller variety of Ligustrum that does not reach 8'? Is there any way I can tell from the leaves of the Texas Privet that it is, indeed, a Texas Privet/Lugustrum Japonicum?

Thank you

Reply to
Walter R.

Walter, we were confused by the names too, but told the nursery we wanted variegated privet and that is what we got. It looks more airy, and gets tall, will outgrow the solid green privet, is hardy, etc. Our 150 ft. will look terrific. Jackie in zone 7.

Reply to
J. Davidson

Just ask your nurseryman what the scientific name of his Texas Privet is. If he hedges (pun intended) and doesn't give you an answer ask if he will guarantee these plants to be Ligustrum japonicum, and that you may return ithem if they are not. If he won't do so DON'T buy.

Personally I think they are not. A plant called New Mexico Privet is actually Forestiera, however they do give the scientific name. Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

To my knowledge there are no native ligustrums at all, nor are there native privet. Japonica indicates native to Japan. Chinensis indicates native to China. Ligustrums in certain areas are outlawed because they are noxious. Just be cautious when using these. I didn't know any better at one time and I had a LOT of work.

Reply to
Jangchub

Walter Now this is interesting. I went to the library this evening* and checked out a book CA Home Landscaping, to look at the pretty pictures and start dreaming about spring, etc. and there on Page 197 what did I find but TEXAS PRIVET

Texas Privet: Ligustrum japonicum 'Texanum' Shrub/small tree, very glossy bright green leaves, clusters of white flowers Dark blue-black berries fast growing full/partial sun any soil

6-9 feet So there it is -yes it is a japonicum cultivar/variety

  • i was looking for Jerry Baker materials LOL Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

It is NOT a Texas native.

Reply to
Jangchub

V I did not say it was a Texas native It is a cultivar/variety of L. japonicum which is what the OP wanted to know.He wanted to know the height: Texanum 6-9ft, L. japonicum 6-12 ft. Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

I just wanted to make the distinction because it is on our noxious, do not plant list. At least the Texas Native Plant Society. It is really not a good plant and maybe a disease will wipe it out. Finally something is killing the oleander. Nice plant, just not here.

Reply to
Jangchub

The nasty privet here is L. lucidum or Glossy Privet This thing gets to be 40 feet tall and produces millions of berries, which are messy and the birds love them. Then they of course spread them all over. I have about a hundred seedlings every spring. The only good thing is they are easy to pull out, but you have to do it soon because they are fast growers. There is a California Privet, which is not native either. L. ovalifolium Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

It's actually a really nice plant. It brings back memories from childhood in Brooklyn for me. The sparrows house inside them over winter and they do have beauty, but they are inching out everything native. You know, like the president is doing to America. Just about everyone I know wants out of here! I don't know where that came from, I just went with it. v

Reply to
Jangchub