Hedges

I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I was looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but if left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

Reply to
James

maybe some Hollys? Crepe Myrtles? Tough, most plants WANT to grow. Can the hedge EVER be pruned - even on alternate years or something? Just because a plant CAN reach 40' doesn't mean you must allow it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

All plants seem to have a natural height whereby they don't grow taller or at least not much. I'm looking for something evergreen that seems to max out around 10 feet after it reaches that. Yes, some trimming would be in order from time to time but I don't want a runaway reaching for the sky.

Reply to
James

Given those requirements: not too tall, evergreen and fairly cold hardy limits the selection to a few. Holly is a good plant that might work: ilex glabra, Inkberry Ilex verticillata, winterberry or Ilex crenata, Japanese holly Also Mahonia, Oregon grape, or Taxus, Yew. There are Taxus x media hybrids such as Hicksii or Hatfieldii, these are in the 8-12 foot range I think. Taxus is not a rapid grower, however. and there is Japanese Privet, Ligustrum japonicum. ( I would never suggest it for the west, it is an agressive invader here) But it serves the purpose in colder areas.

What you might consider rather than a 100 ft. hedge of one species is mixing several kinds of plants into a "hedgerow". You could even include some deciduous varieties with the evergreens. If some noxious pest/disease appears, you will not be as likely to lose all the plants as you could with a monoculture hedge.

Good luck with your project. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Take a look at : Strawberry tree Arbutus unendo

Reply to
kenv