Hedge with white flowers?

Hi: I'm trying to find a hedge that my grandmother had in Oklahoma. It's about 4-5 feet tall, and is full of little white flowers. I've been searching for it in seed catalogs but haven't found anything that I think might be it. Was it baby's breath or bridal wreath? I'm not sure. Any help appreciated --

Reply to
texas_gardener

maybe Privet (ligustrum)?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

In message , texas_gardener writes

Baby's Breath is (at least some of the time) Gypsophila. I don't think you could grow a hedge from that. Bridal Wreath often applies to Spiraea and particularly to Spiraea x arguta. You can treat that as a hedge, but if you want the lots of little white flowers it would have to be an informal hedge; if you clip it formally you'll lose most of the flowers.

There are other hedging plants with white flowers, such as privet, blackthorn or hawthorn. Quite likely you wouldn't consider the flowers of blackthorn or hawthorn to be little. It's perhaps not so clear cut with privet as with Spiraea x arguta, but for flowers privet is also best treated as an informal hedge.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

anyway). I think the leaves were smaller, though -- tiny little leaves...

Reply to
texas_gardener

I did a search on "hedge white flowers" and got:

the leaves are not right.

The photo of the privet hedge here:

is not what I remember, but is too dense. I think there were long stems. I don't know. This may be a hopeless quest over a memory that is not too well recalled.

Reply to
texas_gardener

In message , texas_gardener writes

There are other species of Euonymus.

That's a very carefully trimmed formal privet hedge; most privet hedges aren't so dense, and it can be grown as in informal hedge.

However I suggest that you look for images of Spiraea x arguta, which is (a plant known as) Bridal Wreath, and which does have small white flowers, and small leaves, and can be grown as a hedge (my father has it as a clipped hedge, at the expense of the flowers, but clipping once a year after flowering might be a workable regime).

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It very well might be privet then. On the other hand, I searched on Spiraea x arguta and did find photos that looked promising:

*does* look like what my grandmother had, and I believe it may be it.

Reply to
texas_gardener

Stewart, I believe you're right. The Bridal's Wreath Spiraea here is what I believe it is:

down)

And now I remember my mother calling it by both Bridal's Wreath and Spiraea.

Thanks so much!!

Reply to
texas_gardener

Here it is for purchase (I think):

texas_gardener

In message , texas_gardener writes

That's a different species of Spiraea. From the picture at the URL it looks as if it has larger leaves, and a different habit. In particular the flowers are clustered differently. See

a more informative photograph.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

You're right; I found a photograph of what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a place to purchase, and so far have not found this exact species.

Reply to
texas_gardener

Here it is, found by searching under "Spiraea x arguta catalog":

texas_gardener

4 pages of different cultivars/species here;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan