planting hedge

hi i would be grateful for any advice for planting an already mature hedge.

after a dispute with my neighbour, i am keen to plant a hedge along the side of my front garden, but i want the privacy as soon as possible, i.e not have to wait possibly 2 or 3 years for a hedge to grow.

the length of the hedge only needs to be about 2 meters, but i would ideally like a height of about 1.5 - 2 meters straight away. also as dense as possible, and evergreen!

would just putting a row of some kind of firs close together work?

this will be alongside a concrete wall about 1m in height if that makes a difference

i do not have any gardening experience so if you have any ideas please post!

many thanks, dave

Reply to
dave

Using mature plants is expensive and you may lose some. Consider your soil, moisture and sunlight and match these with plants that grow well in your region (I have no idea where you live).

Reply to
Phisherman

If you are prepared to deal with bamboo, it does grow fast and is beautiful. However, you need to study up on it first. Be sure to get a variety that doesn't spread underground - the "clumping" type. Some people dig a hole or trench and line it with metal or (concrete?) to make sure the bamboo doesn't get away from you.

For interim privacy you could put up a 6' bamboo fence. You buy a roll of bamboo fencing at a homeowners store and install it along a row of temporary fence posts. Attractive, low-cost, and easily removable when your hedge or whatever has grown to desired height.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Check to see if Red Tips (Photinia Fraseri) are available & do well in your area. They are very fast growers, form dense hedges and are attractive year-round. I know they're available in England but I think I read that they grow best in the southern region.

-- Tara

Reply to
scfundogs

great - thanks for all the replies,

i am in south west england (bristol) so the red tips might be an idea..

i have found companies which supply "instant hedges" but at about £400 per meter i think i'll do it myself

guess i need to find out the soil type too and check the right plant will grow, so thatnks for that too ..

dave

Reply to
dave

How about good old Englsih Laurel? You can get some pretty big plants that will get huge in no time at all.

Reply to
kenv