privet hedge

Last March we planted a new bear root privet hedge bought 90cm tall because we need it to provide screening fast. Only very few of the plants produced leaves on the existing growth.Most of them shot new growth from the roots, which now is only 30cm high. I need this hedge to grow as fast as possible. I don't know why the plants didn't grow properly and whether it is worth re-planting a new hedge. The plants were not deep planted and the depth of planting, the soil and fertiliser were identical. Any suggestions? any similar experiences?

Reply to
elenitsa

I planted 100 potted oval leaf privet hedgeing plants 2 months ago in good soil that is well drained. The plants have something like black spot and some leaves are turning to copper like colouring, I put wind breaker around hedgeing and also watered as recommended. Any suggestions as to how I can rectify problem,also should I cover bed with grass cuttings to protect against frost.

Thanking you Thomas

Reply to
coolaleen

A bear root hedge needs lots of honey.