Getting a Privet Hedge Wider...

Howdy all.

I have a two year old privet hedge that is growing tall, but not wide. The base of the hedge is also fairly bare. I have made several shearing cuts, but that seems to be making it look top heavy.

The plants were 12"-18" tall when planted. The only cuts have been shearing off new growth. Should I cut it close to the ground this spring? I assume this would create a flush of new growth at the base where I want it.

Any input appreciated.

-Felder

Reply to
felder

Ours had good width because we kept sheering them back till they filled in.... for a year or so we kept it 3 ft then 4 ft ect.... it was 12 foot when we moved and about 5-6 foot wide. Nice screen the new owners cut almost to the ground. I didn't like the idea of the neighbor being able to look in the windo without the hedge... I'd like to put them in here to make the back private from the road and again my neighbor.We don't have many large lots of property here. Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

Trimming it back (by one half) will encourage it to branch out. The proper way to trim a hedge is wider at the bottom which provides better light and a more natural shape.

Reply to
Phisherman