Perilla name.

Does anybody knows if the name "Coleus of Labiate family" is another name for the Perilla plant?. thanks. beni.

Reply to
beni kafe

What's wrong with you? I already said it wasn't.

There is no such thing as Coleus Labiate.

Coleus is now synonymous with Plectranthus.

Plectranthus is not the same as Perilla.

Labiate is the family Lamiaceae.

Perilla is used as sushi wrap too.

Despite the name, Perilla frutescens is an annual not a bush.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

You are thinking of this ornamental perilla:

escape

Ah Ha!!!

Yet another Plant Identification Psychic is in our midst!!!

Which plant am I thinking of?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Oh hush up big mouth! I figured it was the plant this person was talking about because of its variegation and how it does resemble coleus in that way.

The plant you are thinking of probably of the rolled version.

escape

Awwww.... C'mon Steve!!

You know your stuff but at least be civil to your friends!!!

Geoff

Reply to
galyles

I do believe he was joking with me...If you think that was uncivil, you haven't paid attention, Geoff! LOL

escape

Sure Perilla resembles Plectranthus (Coleus) in several ways, particularly the arrangement of the stamens. The two genera are actually in the same tribe within the family.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Yes, mine is beginning to flower now. I wonder if it will come true from seed. I know the more common perilla which is ordinary does come true from seed, but this ornamental version, not so sure.

escape