Plumerias: will they survive a freeze?

I have a whole bunch of young plumerias, from newly rooted to 4 ft. high, all in pots. Leaves are starting to turn yellow from the cooler fall temps. Am in Zone 9. Most winters here, there are only a few days of freezing weather, and not much below 32 deg. at that. There is no indoor area available that could be used to protect them, they are just stuck outdoors in the back yard for the winter. Will a freeze kill them? I heard they are pretty delicate tropicals. I could only cover them with plastic or a tarp, if this would help.

Reply to
Jimbo

No. Plumeria are strictly tropical.

If you left them out in freezing cold, they are already mush!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

You can take them out of their pots, wash the roots off with water, fully dry them and store them with no foliage in a closet in the house. Next spring pot them back up. They will not survive much below 35.

escape

See the Plumeria Society of America's advice at

have to secure them before first frost; ideally, you don't want them to be exposed to anything below 35-40F.

Any plumeria enthusiasts know what to do with plants that can't be taken indoors? Do like a 'gator does with her eggs and hide them under a compost heap, where the heat of decomposition will keep them warm?

Reply to
Christopher Green