Hedge for moist clay

Hello,

I live in the West of Belgium, about 15km from the coast. I've acquire a cottage a few years ago and after restoring that, now I'd like t renovate the garden.

I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a suitable evergreen hedge for on side of the garden (no drainage), adjacent to a field (with drainage). would really prefer to plant a yew hedge but I'm not sure that it'l survive in the soil I have. The soil is clay (heavy clay about 80cm-1m deep). In winter it's rathe moist without ever having standing water.

Where the hedge should be, there are also some maple trees, severa willow trees and in the center of the lawn a few walnut trees. They al seem to do fine. They've been there at least 40 years. The willow tree a lot longer even. I don't know if the presence of these trees benefit to a better drainage or not. A lower level of water in the ground maybe I don't know.

Does anyone have a yew hedge in similar soil? Do you have any suggestions? Many thanks.

Joha

-- Johan

Reply to
Johan

Clay soil or sandy soil are not good for plants. However, clay soil typically has more nutrients than sandy soil which is a plus in your case. Prepare the area to plant your hedge by tilling in compost. You may have to rent a powerful tiller for this job if the area is large. Some sharp tools (such as an axe) will be needed to break up roots when you prepare the bed. Walnut and willow trees can be problematic. With so many trees you should have enough material to make your own compost.

Reply to
Phisherman

Since the compost will be gone after the first couple of years, till in sand to 20% - 30% with the compost, which will also help with drainage.

Reply to
Billy

Since 2003 I've put about 10-15cm of mulch/chopped wood twice on th soil of the bed. I think I'll have a go at planting a yew hedge and se what happens. Anyone with an evergreen hedge on clay soil, please fee free to give me your advice. I'd appreciate it a lot

-- Johan

Reply to
Johan

Most types of Ilex will work in a large array of situations. It's not true that you have to prepare beds, especially if you use native species. Do a search for plants which do well in your area.

Reply to
Jangchub