Alstroemeria

Does anyone in southern California have experience growing these outdoors in containers? I know they grow quite well in my area in the ground, but I have an oblong container (about 1 ft deep and wide and 3 feet long) where I would like to grow these.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I'm in Sunset Zone 5. I've grown these in two containers on my balcony for three years, they do beautifully. One planter box is 14" deep and one pot is

11". In early spring I dig a few handfuls of alfalfa pellets into the surface soil and give them a good shot of liquid kelp in June. I don't see why you wouldn't have the same success. I just push the containers back against the wall, under a plant bench during our few coldest months while they are dormant. You probably wouldn't have to worry about them freezing out during the winter.

Val

Reply to
Val

Hi David

Val is correct. I also live in a mediterranean climate and also gro Alstroemeria. I found that the trick for success for me was to no disturb the plants unnecessarily. Mine also bloomed in the first seaso and I have had them in containers for three years now. Still growin strong and thriving. Liquid fertilizer will do he trick whenever th soil has been leached

-- Agapanthus

Reply to
Agapanthus