Ideas for plants to sell a school fete in June

My daughter has just asked me to have a plant stall at the local Nursery School in June, do any of you wonderful gardners have any ideas what would be most popular to grow.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you can help.

Reply to
Jayne Bennett

It would be easier to say if you say where you are. The chances are I am half a world away and what may be popular here will not be with you.

But assuming that fetes are not generally in winter I suppose you are in the northern hemisphere and you have spring and early summer to start seeds and strike cuttings.

I would choose plants that are: pretty, easy to grow in the district, take planting out well and you have access to cheaply.

Using for examples stuff that would grow well and be popular *here*:

- if somebody has a bag of pansy seeds they prepare little trays of seedlings that will look good at the time you want,

- if somebody has some good-looking coleus or salvias in their garden get them to start tip cuttings in small pots or tubes that will be ready to plant out in June.

I would start trying to source from friendly locals; potting mix, seed mix, used trays and pots now. Many people do not re-use containers they buy plants in so you may find there are hundreds sitting in sheds waiting to be collected.

If you can score some of the plastic tubes used to grow tube stock these can be very useful. I like the sort that are about 15 cm (6in) high with a square section that tapers towards the bottom. Many trees, shrubs, vegetables and ornamentals can be started in these (one or two seeds each or one cutting) and left there until planting out. This includes types that we are advised do not transplant well (eg cucurbits) because you can get the root ball (well truncated pyramid) out without disturbing it at all if you are careful and the mix is not too sandy.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Marigolds that are easily started in styrofoam cups. Pansy's grow quickly too. MJ

Reply to
mj

Parsley, cilantro, and basil, nasturtiums, tomatoes, peppers, lavender, geranium, marigolds, catnip, violets, and sage come to mind.

Reply to
Billy

I assume that you are in the UK since you are posting to this newsgroup through Garden Banter. I'm on the other side of the world and live in a rural area so our fetes might be a bit different, but here I know that plants like Lambs ears (stachys), shasta daisy's, strawberries, May bush, veggie plants (seedling sized - zucchini, Silver Beet/Chard, cucumber etc) sweet peas, irises, agapanthus comfrey, rose cuttings - in fact anything, will sell. But then we all have big gardens and need bulk plants to fill them. Look around your area and if you live in tonwhouse land, do hanging type basket fillers. If you live in veggie garden land, do veggie seedling. If you live in new subdivision land, do bushes, shrubs quick garden filling plants.

Reply to
Farm1

Thank you all for your replies, i am indeed in the UK, sorry not to have mentioned it earlier, you have given me some great ideas and i cant wait to get started.

Reply to
Jayne Bennett