Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: can someone check my figures?
A human exhales about a kg of CO2 a day. there are 7l billion humans alive So they exhale around 7 megatonnes a day, or 2.5 giga tonnes a year. Fossil fuels generate 9 gigatonnes a year. 1/4 of the...
29
29

cast iron rust prime or leave it?
Redecorating an iron 1930s garden table base which has a smidgen of rust bu t looks like it is not that bothered by it. Will oil based u/c then gloss w ork or do I need to use rust inhibitor primer...
7
7

Round-pin sockets (2023 Update)
I was surprised to see 5-Amp round-pin sockets in a relatively new hotel in England (The Village Hotel in Walsall). When I lived in the UK (up until 1981) I was familiar with both 5- and 15-Amp...
121
121

OT Scouts.
Had an email from our local scouting group/pack? Looking for scrap metal to fund their local troup.. So I looked out what I had. When they turned up to collect it, it was a couple of adults not actual...
24
24

cool or what?
1
1

How to freshen a hardwood exterior door rendered grey by the elements
I think it's oak, but in any case, the elements (mostly the sun, judging by the pattern) have turned some of it a lifeless grey. Simply sanding it doesn't restore the original colour. Is there...
8
8

BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?
I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account to see details of my package despite going through their...
183
183

Strange alarm behaviour
Hi All Started a new thread as I now have a specific issue As mentioned on the earlier thread I have replaced one of my alarm sensors with a Honeywell DT8016F5 to my Honeywell Galaxy series 2 alarm...
7
7

Cheaper ...
... than Screwfix, and a free baby one too! Now to decide which tools go where. (Thinks; spanners could go back in concertina metal box and use the tray they're presently in to carry to jobs. What I...
49
49

Sliders slipping on top opening PVC window
The side sliders drop, about 1/16" so the window doesn't readily close. I've pushed the window back up and tightened as much as I can but a couple of openings later it drops. I don't know what the...
7
7

OT: What advantage does AHCI have over IDE ?
Symptoms: Clock losing time. So time for new CR2035 (6 years old). Deliberated over a hot swap, but decided a quick swap was easier, however it still lost something because Win7/32 flashed up a...
5
5

PC slowing down
The PC in question is a desktop and perhaps 7 years old. On Facebook - which seems to have lots of videos etc these days - it slows right down. Is this likely to be a graphics card thing? Or anything...
70
70

Penetrating oil
My trusty decades old can of Plus Gas is almost empty. Does anyone know if the present day stuff is as good as it used to be? I was wondering if it's still the same product or if the brand name has...
13
13

Will a magnet have an adverse effect on an alarm control box?
I mentioned a while ago, fitting a lifting flap where boards cross a doorway. This has now been done and the flap, when up, rests against a metal alarm control box. Unfortunately, when resting, the...
6
6

Ok Dave (and others) - what's this (genuine question)
(on display in a museum, with no indications of what it was - in any language) https://www.flickr.com/photos/156191305@N04/35460626462/in/dateposted-public/
12
12