Will a magnet have an adverse effect on an alarm control box?

I mentioned a while ago, fitting a lifting flap where boards cross a doorway. This has now been done and the flap, when up, rests against a metal alarm control box. Unfortunately, when resting, the flap is still perilously close to vertical. Fitting a neo magnet to the end (top) of the flap has solved the problem, in that the flap now clicks against the control box, and stays firmly upright.

Just to avoid paranoia, is there likely to be anything in the control box which may take a dislike to the magnet? The magnet has been in place for a few days, and no problems yet ...

Reply to
Graeme

no. The mag field will be far too low to affect relays or sounders.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Thanks chaps. I'll sleep easy :-)

Reply to
Graeme

If the magnet isn't moving the the static field won't be strong enough to affect any relays.

If you are going to get problems it'll be when the magnet, and thus the field, is moving and inducing voltages/currents in nearby conductors. I wouldn't expect such induced volatges to be significant to an alarm system. Unless you have fitted a BFO neodynium magnet but that would make getting the flap off the box difficult. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interesting. At present, the magnet is attached to the flap, so does move. Perhaps I should attach the magnet to the control box.

Well, it has not been, so far. The flap raises to vertical, then perhaps another five degrees before hitting the control box. Moving either would not be trivial, hence a need to secure the flap when open. At present, just brushing against it (without the magnet in place) can be enough to bring it down. I could use a hook, but a magnet just works without intervention.

The magnet in question is part of an old toy, but does the job.

Reply to
Graeme

I'd guess not, as its kind of neutralised at the point its against the metal case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff