Sticking an alarm door contact magnet to a UPVC door

My parents have had a front door changed along with some other work. This now means the surface mount alarm door contact will not clear the gap above the door. I removed the magnet from the plastic case and stuck it to the top of the door with Sticks Like S*** to make it fit. It did not stick.

Can someone suggest a better adhesive for sticking metal to UPVC please? I do not want to be left with globs of old glue on the door from failed attempts! The Sticks Like S*** came off the door easily.

Adam

PS It is the magnet out of one of these and the reed switch was sunk back, skimmed over and is not visible.

Reply to
ARWadworth

Er double sided tape on a new contact,wipe the area with meths and it'll stic like s**t. :-) Well they have on my DG doors.

Reply to
George

Hi Have used superglue before today with the Ferrite magnets but if yours is steel use double sided tape as George suggests but use the tape type not the foam as it degrades,then seal it with a bit of 'her indoors' clear nail varnish. HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Being a UPVC door, I would pay a visit to your local tropical fish store and ask them about fish tank adhesive. Industrial adhesive that will do this job is a bit hard to find. So you don't want something that will un-bond during the night. Degrease both surfaces and abrade, before bonding the 2 parts together. Or should that be, abrade, de grease and bond. Proper vinegar smell silicone with stick to most things.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Evostik of the solvent sort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be plain old silicon sealant (without the fungicide). Not a very good adhesive at all but good enough for the job as would any old silicon sealant lying around. Mines held on by double sided tape and has been there for ~10 years.

Reply to
dennis

For many reasons, I have gone off the use of double sided tape. I have a mini hub stuck to the top of my computer case and it keeps migrating. I am using an aerospace grade tape as well :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I turned up at my parents this afternoon with some Evostick and my Dad had pilot holed the magnet and the door frame and screwed the magnet down!

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Thats a case of...

When you went your father said...sod it I'll do it myself,tsk ;-)

Reply to
George