Alarm door contact on beveled UPVC

Hi,

We have just had our doors and windows replaced with UPVC double glazed units. Our front, back and patio doors all had surface mounted door contacts fitted for the alarm. The new doors have beveled edges which means that the door contacts will not sit flush. I have had a look around but cannot find any contacts that would fit a beveled edge. I dont really want to start cutting chunks out of our brand new doors. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

AlanC has brought this to us :

Wedges of wood of the correct angle to mount the heads on?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On my sliding patio doors I removed the clip on faceplate and glued a reed switch to the back of it - then the matching magnet to the door. Might be possible on your frames?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Piece of !/2" quadrant wood lodged between magnet contact and door bevel,how you stick it to the door is another matter?

Reply to
George

Might help if you put up a picture somewhere. I can't imagine what you are decribing at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

,

The door frame is protruding outwards because the door is wide beveled at the edges.

Reply to
George

Hi,

I have uploaded a few images:-

am really surprised that someone doesnt cater for this. I dont beleive that there are that many variations on the bevel of UPVC doors/ windows.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

They don't need to be very close together. Honeywell quote 30-35mm on the ones I got recently for that very purpose. They work quite well fitted as close as possible square with the mounting surface.

Reply to
<me9

Any room in the door side and inner frame? You could possibly drill a hole in the door and frame plus it'll be hidden and then all you need is a tiny hole inside where the contacts wires will come in to the cable. These could be glued or double sided tape?

George

Personnaly I have fitted heavier contacts, onto patio doors like that. Check for gap specification and try the magnet and contact with a multimeter before actually fitting them to the door. Other alternative is to buy a couple of the same contact, screw the reed switch on, and then use two or three of the same magnets built on top of each other on the actual door. Holes line up and using the correct length of screw its fine :-))

Reply to
SantaUK

Can you tell me where you got your Honeywell contacts from please?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Reply to
AlanC

Screwfix trade counter.

Reply to
<me9

replying to AlanC, Mike46 wrote: Hi I have just fitted a Yale Smart Home security system in my home, I had the same problem with bevelled edge frames, here's how I solved it. I got a length of 90° plastic profile 15mm x 25mm from the local hardware shop, cut it into lengths to fit the magnets, 58mm in my case, stuck the magnets to the these pieces with the double sided tape that was provided in the sensor kit, then attached it over the bevelled edge of the frame with double sided Scotch tape, as in the photos. Hope this helps.

Mike46

replying to Mike46, Ghoster wrote: Excellent idea.

Reply to
Ghoster

replying to Mike46, WDC wrote: You are amazing. I have been beside myself trying to resolve this issue for my Yale Smart Kit

Reply to
WDC