OT Scouts.

Had an email from our local scouting group/pack? Looking for scrap metal to fund their local troup.. So I looked out what I had.

When they turned up to collect it, it was a couple of adults not actual scouts.

What happened to self sufficiency, etc etc? Don't the little darlings want to get their hands dirty?

Reply to
harry

You sure it wasn't just Aleksandar & Borislav just taking the easy route?

Reply to
Richard

Around one Scout in five is an adult, not including the volunteers.

Reply to
Nightjar

Maybe they were the guys with a license? One of our local charities has a guy with a proper scrap license (not because that is his day job).

Reply to
newshound

When was the last time anyone saw a 'Bob-a-Job' offered?

Reply to
Davey

Decades. They'd want more than 5p I think anyway.

Reply to
harry

No, they were people known to me.

Reply to
harry

You are not even allowed to talk to kids these days unless you have clean criminal records check

Reply to
alan_m

Apparently it's been reintroduced.

High earning Beavers get £45 and Scouts £132.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

How were they supposed to carry this scrap metal away ?

Years ago doubtless they'd have used an old pram.

Except nowadays there are no old prams any more. Now its all buggies. While old-fashioned vintage prams can command good prices second-hand.

And I somehow doubt if the troop leaders would have been happy handing over the keys of the mini-bus to them, somehow.

michael adams

michael adams

They had hand carts.

Reply to
Max Demian

In what way are any Scouts not volunteers?

tim

Reply to
tim...

oh that's in total

I thought that was per job (and originally thought Wow!)

but

"William Graham earned £15.00 carrying out 6 jobs for 5 different households"

so 2 quid a job. Can you send them my way please. I have a shed-load of hovering that needs doing

tim

Reply to
tim...

Elf and Safety and safeguarding and all that stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Volunteers is the term for those who train Scouts.

Reply to
Nightjar

Do they need to bring their magic carpets along for that?

Reply to
Davey

I suspect they sent adults because of 'child protection'. Just as 'bob a job' in terms of youngsters knocking on doors and offering to do jobs etc is a thing of the past.

A sad sign of the times.

(Obviously I'm not suggesting the OP's intentions were in away improper.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I blame Dame Esther.

Did they really have a version called "Willing for a Shilling" for Guides and Brownies?

("Are you willing for a shilling?" "No, but I'd risk it for a biscuit!")

Reply to
Max Demian

Apparently they did.

The term has been slightly reappropriated

I googled that, and found "Girls With Guts".

Which turned out to be a blog about bowel problems.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They could steal a shopping trolley.

Does Scouting not teach them anything these days?

Reply to
ARW