How have the mighty fallen? OT.

I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of shit to their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct since January.
Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible, produced to the highest standards. That is how prepackaged foods got a market place over real foods. Real food, fresh food, required a long wheelbase from farm to city. Stuff perished and unscrupulous merchants got rid of it as best they could.
The alternative was to buy tinned and preserved stuff that was produced by people with great reputations.
I bet the fools responsible for the penny pinching are regretting things there at the moment. I hope they have to eat their shit.
Weatherlawyer wrote:

It is quite clear from the above, that you have no idea about what goes on in the food industry.
On 24 Jun 2006 14:44:13 -0700 Weatherlawyer wrote :

In Victorian times adulterated foodstuffs were far from unknown.

Tony Bryer wrote:

"How are the mighty fallen", shirley?
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Once upon a time people accepted that they loved in a world full of bugs that were out to get them.
Before they built sanitised little boxes full of plastics that gave them asthma, and peered out in horror at the ugly nasty world outside, through plastic net curtains, and only ate things full of chemicals that came in boxes with brightly coloured labels just like the toys they were brought up on.
Replacing the general thrill of living in a real world with the synthetic thrill of reading the tabloids and imagining the worst that could happen to them...

Two things which may, or may not, be relevant:
I haven't bought any Cadbury's chocolate for a long time. I found that any other chocolates that I ate, always tasted better. It must be all that milk that they put in (rather than cocoa solids).
I used to be very fond of Horlicks light malt drinking chocolate. Then one day I bought a carton of it which _didn't taste quite so good_. So I phoned the company, and was instructed to send the item back ( I received a stamped jiffy bag and a 5.00 voucher). To come to the point, I find that the product is still the same (inferior); and that if I add a small amount of pure cocoa per cup, that drink tastes better. I believe that the manufacter have reduced the cocoa content. It says 4% on the carton; which is only a small amount, after all. Can you believe that, or are my taste buds lying to me?
Sylvain.
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:09:39 GMT, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

ISTR that the european chocolate makers tried to stop Cadburys calling their product "chocolate" because it has so little cocoa in it. If a bit of chocolate, at room temp, only quietly tears rather than a brittle break with with an audible snap it hasn't got enough cocoa in it.
Current favorite chocolates are Bendicks Bittermints, 95% cocoa solids chocolate. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I like Cadbury's Dairy Milk. Always have. And I find these "chocoloate snob my chocolates got more cocoa solids in it than yours" chocolates inedible.
Why not eat cocoa solids with a spoon and have done with it?
--
"Other people are not your property."
On 25 Jun 2006 18:31:38 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's OK in small amounts but I find it rather sickly and clawing after a couple of bits.

Your just not addicted to the cocoa, 'cause you don't get a big enough kick from CDM. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I liked Cadbury's chocolate (including Dairy Milk) before/until I tasted other brands. I preferred the taste of most of the others. Now, I find their chocolate more expensive than other brands of similar quality and less good to eat. Have you tried Lindt chocolate? If yes, and you prefer Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate, then there's something wrong with your taste buds. Lindt milk chocolate is _delicious_. BTW, I don't eat a lot of chocolate.
Sylvain.

TBH, neither do I. That's probably why I have no particular axe to grind over it.
--
"Other people are not your property."

Where can you buy it?

Wot, cocoa powder? I trust you have your sources.
It's not very palatable thobut...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

I've occasionally had chocolates (rather special ones) which have nibs of pure cocoa in them, they're a joy. But you can't buy the chocolates by themselves and I'd have to get through a whole box of (admittedly delicious) others just for the two very special ones :-(
Mary

So what *is* it? Educate me please!
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:32:29 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one intended for a drink.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:49:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is de-fatted solids of cocoa, because the cocoa is acid it may be neutralised with alkali which some think improves the flavour. This is typical of Dutch cocoa powder such as Van Houtens.
|On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:49:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote: | |> "Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a |> mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. | |You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder. Cocoa |powder is de-fatted solids of cocoa, because the cocoa is acid it may be |neutralised with alkali which some think improves the flavour. This is |typical of Dutch cocoa powder such as Van Houtens.
Also Sainsbries which I found in our cupboard.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:55:03 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

You really are a jerk aren't you. Read the qualifications that I put in there FFS.
<plonk>
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Nope, I reckon Steve's right. Proper cocoa powder shouldn't have any dried milk or anything else in it. That's drinking chocolate.
--
Skipweasel