Semi to Detached...

Planning permission - I currently live in a local authority semi which I will be purchasing next year. Being a semi, my neighbours house is pretty much identical in design.

If his were to come up for sale, would I be permitted to buy it and change it into one house?, forget the work involved I mean purely from a legal perspective.

Thanks

Reply to
Jonni

It depends on the attitude of the local planners. In LB Richmond upon Thames this would be resisted as reducing the supply of more affordable accommodation. For the same reason LBRuT resist reverse conversions - turning a house converted into flats back into a single family house (in contrast to 40-50 years back reverse conversions are potentially profitable in this part of the world). Other LPAs wouldn't raise the slightest objection. You need to check your LA's viewpoint.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Indeed; and in some areas you might have the same problem if you wanted to convert one house into two; it just depends. Best thing is to make an appointment with the planners and go in for an informal chat to see how the land lies. (Take lots of photos of the properties and the street with you).

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh boy, with the new rules and shared housing there is going to be an awful lot of agro if those last posts are true!

Reply to
Broadback