House painting

Hi all I have a 1930s detached house 3 bedrooms with an attached garage , it is rendered and currently white in colour , the colour is starting to look tatty and grubby , so we are hoping to have the house repainted , i have no idea what sort of cost that i will be looking at , can anyone give me any ideas as to a rough cost ??? , ( we live in nottingham )

Many thanks

Reply to
emailuser

Assuming preparation and painting of all the usual woodwork and rendered walls, and you have wooden windows and doors (not replaced with upvc) then if you want it done properly I think that estimates could be between £3,000 and £6,000. The surface area of rendering and the number of windows and doors, will affect the cost, as will gaining access. If it can all be done from ladders or a tower platform, that will be cheaper than if scaffolding is needed. If you want the work done this summer/autumn you may need to accept an estimate fairly soon as reputable painters often have a waiting list for outdoor work.

Phil

----

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Sorry, have no idea of the costs involved but couldn't help but chip in on this post.

I live in a house, since last November, that was built by the coal board in

1955. It was later taken over by the District Council and later sold off to a sitting tennant.

In the Deeds, it states that the outside of the house is painted. If I wish to change the colour, I have to apply to both the District Council and the now Coal Authority in writing for permission to repaint, if a different colour to that of which it is currently painted and ask if my colour change will be in keeping with the rest of the neighbourhood. I also have to seek permission from both parties if I wish to have any paths, or flagging done or even put up a shed in the back yard. not only this, but am told by the Solicitor and confirmed by Northumbrian Water that any flagging has to be approved by them if it is within 2 metres of where their pipes run.

It seems an Englishman's home is not his castle afterall.

-- the_constructor

Reply to
the_constructor

I live in an owner-occupied Victorian semi-detached two-storey house. My adjacent neighbour decided to have his unpainted traditional brick walls spray coated with a textured bright pink finish, which needless to say has been dirty pink ever since. There are no restrictive covenants applicable, and since this isn't a conservation area the District Council told me that he can paint his walls any colour he likes. There seems to be two extremes.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Isn't it amazing these days what a wide range of undercoat colours is available, and how it can take years before it's ready for the top coat :-)

Reply to
Martin

Has it still got the original cast iron gutters and downspouts, in which case these will need painting, or have they been replaced by grey/white/black plastic, in which case these are not usually painted?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

The only way to get a true answer to this is by getting quotes from respectable firms nobody here can give even a wild guess without seeing what needs doing

Reply to
George Tingsley