Insulating a cold room

Hi,
We have a room in our 1930s house which has 2 external walls. The outside is rendered and there is no cavity, i'm not entirely sure what the walls themselves are made of. brick/block etc.
Anyway this room is disproportionately cold compared to the rest of the house, and we want to move our daughter into it. so we need to sort out the temperature issues.
It has a relatively large radiator - but i think the problem is really the insulation. I've laid an extra layer of insulation in the loft above this room but it didnt make any difference.
The window is double glazed and doesnt have any draughts.
So i'm wondering if there is any way to boost the insulation in the walls? some sort of additional insulated board? I'd obviously be looking for maximum performance for minimum additional thickness. Any other ideas? My builder mentioned insulated plasterboard, but I want to be really sure that whatever solution we go for will actually work. Do i need to get some sort of insulation expert in to assess it?
Thanks! Dan
--
codek

Add pictures here
βœ–

Buy (or borrow) an infra-red thermometer, and use it to find the temperature of all the walls/floor/ceiling/doors/windows. To a first approximation, the coldest ones are where the most heat is being lost, and the ones you should attempt to reduce the loss with insulation. The window is likely to always be the worst, but it hopefully isn't a large proportion of the surface area of all the external walls and ceilings, and if you can fix the others, the window alone won't matter.o
It may be that the radiator size was never properly calculated. It's all too common for a small room to get a small radaitor and a large one to get a large radiator, without taking into account the actual heat losses, which for a small corner upstairs room, are going to be significantly bigger than the size of the room alone would suggest.
What's the condition of the external rendering? If it's on it's last legs, you might consider ripping it off, fitting external insulating board, and then rendering over that. In many ways, external insulation can be the best, and the reason it can't be done is that it would damage external features of the house, but if it's already rendered, that might not be an issue.
Failing than, loft insulation as you've done, and then insulating the walls inside as you suggested above.
Does the room have a fireplace with a flue still open?
Make sure the radiator isn't blocked with cobwebs behind it, inbetween panels, or in the vertical air flutes.
--
Andrew Gabriel
βœ–
On 02/11/2012 14:29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I've been contemplating this for a while (I also live in a 1930s house with rendered walls and no wall cavity).
Does anyone have a rough idea what sort of cost I'd be looking at to have the rendering stripped, external insulation added and new rendering done on a 4 bed end-terrace house?
--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
On Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:50:25 PM UTC, Danny Colyer wrote:

Render removal: SDS drill £100, chisel bits £7 at aldi Insulation: google celotex/kingspan seconds. IIRC BR requires about 3". Also insulation clips. Render: EML, preferably in SS, SS screws, cement, lime, sand, 1:1:6
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 03/11/2012 16:55, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Plus scaffolding costs, cost of time off work.
Thanks, but this isn't a job I'd contemplate doing myself.
--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
βœ–
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 14:51:03 +0000, Danny Colyer

£10K - ish. You could do it yourself much cheaper, of course. I gave it serious consideration, but in the end decided to go for internal insulation, with the exception of one internal gable end wall which will effectively be externally insulated - for one very good reason, as follows. I realised that the likelihood of achieving total sealing and weathertightness around all the doors and windows without having access to professional equipment was small. It might work in the short term but I've no intention of clambering around ladders and scaffolding in my 70s, when problems are likely to occur. The two-storey gable end wall is shared with the workshop and is, in reality, an internal wall, so that can be insulated on the workshop side with no worries about weathering. Bonus point there, is the 2ft thick wall will provide a large thermal mass for the house side.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 04/11/2012 23:22, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Ouch. Thanks.

That's also something I'm considering, when we get round to redecorating. We only have one radiator on an external wall, which would probably have to be moved.
--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
βœ–
On 02/11/2012 11:02, codek wrote:

I had a similar problem about 30 years ago when my 10 year old son moved into his own room. I lined the whole thing in cork tiles, which was surprisingly effective given the modest thickness, plus of course it became one huge notice board. Marcel Proust lived in a cork lined room
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 02/11/12 18:06, stuart noble wrote:

heavy drinker?
--
Ineptocracy

βœ–
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:19:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

Lovely little thinker.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Tell your daughter to put up with the cold. It'll boost her immune system.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
On 02/11/2012 18:22, Lieutenant Scott wrote: <>

Do you have any evidence for that? And how do you measure the boostedness (or otherwise) of an immune system?
--
Rod

Add pictures here
βœ–

Research has been done, google it.
It's also good for burning calories. I like to eat. A lot. And high calorie foods like chocolate. People don't understand why I'm not fat. I never wear warm clothes, I swim outdoors all year round, and I only use heating to prevent frost damage.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Some people do understand. It is because you are mentally retarded.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–

and type excessive amounts of bollocks?
Jim K
Add pictures here
βœ–

So because I can do something you can't, I'm a retard? More like you're a pussy that spends a fortune on heating.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

I am sure that you can do lots of things I cannot do.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–