Insulating a cold room

You're the one that doesn't understand me.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Not in a "traditional semi" the larger rooms share the party wall one side and internal walls the other side and room rear. They only have one external wall. The corner rooms(*), do have two external walls and are colder. I should know my childhood bedroom was the small corner bedroom in a 1930's semi...

(*) Normally hall way/stairs and kitchen downstairs, bathroom and small bedroom upstairs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

£10K - ish. You could do it yourself much cheaper, of course. I gave it serious consideration, but in the end decided to go for internal insulation, with the exception of one internal gable end wall which will effectively be externally insulated - for one very good reason, as follows. I realised that the likelihood of achieving total sealing and weathertightness around all the doors and windows without having access to professional equipment was small. It might work in the short term but I've no intention of clambering around ladders and scaffolding in my 70s, when problems are likely to occur. The two-storey gable end wall is shared with the workshop and is, in reality, an internal wall, so that can be insulated on the workshop side with no worries about weathering. Bonus point there, is the 2ft thick wall will provide a large thermal mass for the house side.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Lovely little thinker.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I don't know if it applies to the OP, but north facing rooms are often colder than south facing ones. Short of rebuilding the whole house on an enormous turntable, there's not a lot you can do to address that....

(Actually I have wondered about heat pipes between a couple of our rooms. It makes no sense that they are on the same underfloor heating zone, but changing that means ripping up more floor than I want to....)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Ouch. Thanks.

That's also something I'm considering, when we get round to redecorating. We only have one radiator on an external wall, which would probably have to be moved.

Reply to
Danny Colyer