Double Glazing Replacement

Does anyone have recommendations regarding replacing double glazed bay windows? Apple Home Improvements are quoting around £6K for replacing 2 bay windows with 6 units each before discount.

Reply to
J C 1947

I'd get a few more quotes.

Reply to
mogga

Price the materials here:

stuff is pretty decent (I have bought 3 windows). Make sure you choose bay windows, they almost certainly need steel supports as those windows are often structural.

It will also give you a chance to check the options. Then go and get more quotes - preferably from a local small business.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Agreed and preferably froma local firm that has been trading for a good =

number of years. That "before discount" worries me, it's a hard sell technique, any decent installer doesn't need the "hard sell".

Stange that Apple are branching out into Windows.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

number of years. That "before discount" worries me, it's a hard sell

Yes, walk away from that quote you have already.

Find local glaziers and/or builders. Look out for people having it done or check with those who've had it done nearby, and ask what they thought of their installers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the word 'discount' alone should give you enough warning.... they quote a ridiculous figure, then half it and the permanently baffled of society think they are getting something - they are and it's ripped off, when the true figure should be about a third.

Get a local builder to replace them, save yourself £4K and forget about all the 'guarantees', 'peace of mind' and other BS spouted by the salesmen.

Reply to
Phil L

Their web site gives showroom information but not (as required by law) their registered office and company registration details.

The Companies House Database lists a company called Apple Home Improvements Ltd (company number 06271446) as dissolved in August

2012.

The web domain is registered to Fairweather Web Ltd, a web hosting company, rather than to the company trading as Apple Home Improvements.

On this basis I would run a mile.

Cheers, Jake ======================================= Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Reply to
The Original Jake

Totally agree, sounds expensive to me. You'd be amazed at how much variation there can be. I have to admit bias against national suppliers as I am a director of an independent PVCu manufacturer but, even amongst the local boys, there can be a big difference.

We supply a lot of the local companies and most would charge 6.5K for 9 windows, a composite door and a set of french doors but, a couple of our customers charge around 4.5K for the same job.

They're getting plenty of work and I know their businesses are healthy so, get as many quotes as you can and do your home work.

Reply to
Ilene D'over