Double Glazing Replacement

Does anyone have recommendations regarding replacing double glazed bay windows? Apple Home Improvements are quoting around 6K for replacing 2 bay windows with 6 units each before discount.
--
J C 1947

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:28:05 +0000, J C 1947

I'd get a few more quotes.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 14:50:56 +0000, mogga wrote:

Agreed and preferably froma local firm that has been trading for a good number of years. That "before discount" worries me, it's a hard sell technique, any decent installer doesn't need the "hard sell".
Stange that Apple are branching out into Windows.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, walk away from that quote you have already.
Find local glaziers and/or builders. Look out for people having it done or check with those who've had it done nearby, and ask what they thought of their installers.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Totally agree, sounds expensive to me. You'd be amazed at how much variation there can be. I have to admit bias against national suppliers as I am a director of an independent PVCu manufacturer but, even amongst the local boys, there can be a big difference.
We supply a lot of the local companies and most would charge 6.5K for 9 windows, a composite door and a set of french doors but, a couple of our customers charge around 4.5K for the same job.
They're getting plenty of work and I know their businesses are healthy so, get as many quotes as you can and do your home work.
--
Ilene

J C 1947 wrote:

Price the materials here:
http://windowsanddoors.co.uk/estimate /
Their stuff is pretty decent (I have bought 3 windows). Make sure you choose bay windows, they almost certainly need steel supports as those windows are often structural.
It will also give you a chance to check the options. Then go and get more quotes - preferably from a local small business.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."
J C 1947 wrote:

the word 'discount' alone should give you enough warning.... they quote a ridiculous figure, then half it and the permanently baffled of society think they are getting something - they are and it's ripped off, when the true figure should be about a third.
Get a local builder to replace them, save yourself 4K and forget about all the 'guarantees', 'peace of mind' and other BS spouted by the salesmen.
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:28:05 +0000, J C 1947

Their web site gives showroom information but not (as required by law) their registered office and company registration details.
The Companies House Database lists a company called Apple Home Improvements Ltd (company number 06271446) as dissolved in August 2012.
The web domain is registered to Fairweather Web Ltd, a web hosting company, rather than to the company trading as Apple Home Improvements.
On this basis I would run a mile.
Cheers, Jake ======================================Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes it's raining and sometimes it's not.