Garage Package / Kit for Workshop

Hi;

I live in Virginia. Starting this spring, I want to build a detached garage / workshop in my backyard. I am hoping to buy a package that will come with the plans and all the materials. I will sub out the concrete and build the garage myself. Any reccomendations for providers of said kits? Any idea of the cost for around 26*32? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. If you have recently built a garage and want to send me some pics, that would be great!

Have a nice christmas. Pat

Reply to
komobu

I dont know about a kit It is pretty easy to design and build a garage yourself The hardest part for you will be installing the trusses or rafters

A couple suggestions i will give you though is build a knee wall on the perimeter of your building so you can raise the height of the wall

It is very easy for the concrete guy to build a 4 foot tall kneewall then you can use 2x4 studs which will raise the roof in the garage

It will mean buying a couple more sections on your garage door and getting a little extra help to raise the wall onto the kneewall

just build the studwall and put the sheathing on after

then when you are done framing the box have the truss company lift and place the trusses on delivery

It will mean you will need a helper Drive by the bus stop one morning and pickout a the biggest kid that looks like they play football and tell him you will pay him $150 to help for a couple days heh

Also dont put windows or doors on the walls of the garage that are facing away from your house for security reasons.

If you are stuck on getting a kit then call around to shed companies I am sure they have something or will get you something

Reply to
<moo

Needed help, labor-wise, in many areas. Raising the walls, picking up the center 2X12 beam that carries the floor joists, getting the plywood to the roof, getting the shingles to the roof, and putting in the garage header. All standard construction, no pre-fab walls or trusses. I imagine a kit will have similar labor aids needed.

Found it was not needed to raise the entire garage ceiling above the standard 8&#39;. Rather, I just elevated the joists 5.5" in the garage door area on one side of the joist beam. Tied the wall side of the these higher joists to the rafters.

Reply to
Jonny

Hi Pat,

I might recommend

. Maybe they can help you.

Regards,

Larry

komobu wrote:

Reply to
allpro7

Most real lumber yards (not big box stores) offer a design service that creates a drawing and BOM package for the project. You tell them the size, door and window number and locations, and they&#39;ll generate a complete drawing package ( including footing layout for the concrete contractor). They can also time delivery of materials for you - eg. rooftop delivery of shingles after the decking is on.

Reply to
v8z