How have the mighty fallen? OT.

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Amalagam's still being used, isn't it?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I've got some that have lasted at least that long.

Reply to
Guy King

Many of mine are older than that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" typed

I was only in Leeds between 1/2/85 - 18/2/86.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

In message , Andy Hall writes

You may or may not be surprised to read that I have amalgum fillings from 1969, put in by our dentist Mr Holdsworth, who practiced in Old Harlow, Essex. My current dentist didn't see the need to replace them. He has now retired, so I shall see what his successor has to say.

Reply to
June Hughes

In message , Andy Hall writes

Are you a dentist, Andy?

Reply to
June Hughes

In message , Andy Hall writes

More.

Reply to
June Hughes

We should compare 'old'!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Do not even consider it, even when yu can afford dentures.

I've recently lost a nuber of teeth and I miss them, every time I see someone with proper teeth it makes me wish I still had all of mine.

How the hell did teeth get into cocoa?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

I always drink whatever vinegar is left when the pickled beetroot has gone!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:13:48 +0100, June Hughes wrote (in article ):

Hopefully he's getting it right now,.

That will probably depend on the NHS budget.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:14:22 +0100, June Hughes wrote (in article ):

Are you?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was asking a friend (who is a dentist) about amalgam fillings the other weak. He still uses them and has no problems with them. More fit for the purpose than other materials, even with more modern technology.

Reply to
<me9

I haven't had a filling for over 2 years. I now have less fillings than then, but the remaining (amalgam) ones are as good as new. I wish my dentures were as good.

Reply to
<me9

Quoting from message posted on 16 Jul 2006 by Alan Holmes I would like to add:

I wanted all my teeth out about 40 years ago - my GP (who was anaesthetist for visiting dentist) thought it was a good idea but the dentist didn't.

Since then bits of already filled tooth have broken off; various dentists have drilled and refilled whichever tooth was affected; more bits have broken off so dentist has drilled and filled ad infinitum to the extent that I was fed up and stopped going to the dentist - at some point a dentist is going to *have* to remove my teeth!

Reply to
Elaine Jones

^

Typo. Should have been 20 years.

Reply to
<me9

I think I have that psychological disorder which, in extreme cases, makes people want to cut their limbs off. I just hate my teeth.

Probably overindulgence in sweet sticky cocoa buggered the teeth in the first place :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:00:59 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote (in article ):

NHS?

Which purpose? AIUI, there are two major negative issues with them.

- Mercury content. Do you voluntarily want toxic heavy metal compounds introduced into your body for no good reason?

- Mechanical fit. Modern filling materials bond to the tooth. Amalgam does not. This means that the drilled cavity has to be shaped with an undercut angle in order that the filling stays in. It means that more undecayed tooth material has to be removed than would otherwise be necessary.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:35:18 +0100, Elaine Jones wrote (in article ):

That's what happens when you rely on the government to decide what goes in your mouth.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

No such luck! He's private.