Subject Author Posted Replies

Whole home heating with air/air heat pumps
Every time I look into conventional ASHP for domestic heating I?m put off by the enormous complexity of the systems, the disruption of installation and the requirement to lose one?s gas boiler to get...
35
35

Watching the telly
Since I was sorting the kitchen out I, put the telly on. Then, because I don?t like to watch things where the performers have been chosen on racial grounds (because it?s racist) I flicked through the...
48
48

Symbio bust, how to avoid a Smart meters.
I joined Symbio Energy not long ago following a post in this news group. One benefit was that I did not have to have a Smart meter. Now that Symbio have gone broke I am wondering how I can continue to...
34
34

Electrical diy
Installed an external socket off a (new) fused spur from an an existing socket. Surprised myself when it worked first time. Pictures: ?e=ygYrq5 Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC,...
58
58

FTTP on demand
Out of curiousity I asked for a quote from Cerberus for an on-demand FTTP install to replace FTTC. The cabinet is about 400m away (relatively direct by road, some open space in between): Thank...
58
58

OT: isolating electricity
I remember as a child we used to turn off the main switch for the power supply when we went on holiday. I cannot imagine anyone doing that any more (or unplugging the TV from the wall (as we were...
23
23

EDF called
To try and book me for a Smart Meter. I told the almost English speaking bint at the far end that I didn't want it and put the phone down. Am I required to take it?
22
22

OT: Chickens coming home to roost?
Future Renewables Eco, a wind farm investment company, goes bust, in spite of all the subsidies. What will it be like when subsidies are withdrawn? or Mini-bond investors may only receive 30pc of...
2
2

OT - Experience of OpenReach FTTP installation via telegraph poles
Hi All, As mentioned on another thread, I am getting FTTP installed tomorrow. My current phone line is provided from a telegraph pole in the street to a gable end at the front of my house and into the...
53
53

Volts
Well looks like the volts have gone off definitively now. Been a bit flaky all evening. No call from UK Power networks yet, though.
21
21

Buying 82mm bricks for my extension?
Do house extension bricks have to be the same height as existing bricks? They are around 82mm high ! 4 + 1/4 inches New metric bricks are 50mm or 65mm high. Are they around 50 pence each new but...
3
3

Riddle on windfarms later tonight on GBnews
9.p.m. Dan Wootton

Signal boosters?
Do they work? I have a Freeview TV with an indoor aerial, I wasn't expecting much but it works well most of the time. But occasionally it's unwatchable. I'll get a proper aerial if necessary but...
26
26

Saniflo rant
I've accepted a quote to replace a Saniflo, from a fitter on the Saniflo website. Total cost quoted is £695 +VAT. I can buy the new unit for £380 + VAT, so that means I am paying over £300 + VAT...
20
20

from British Gas ....
Dear James There?s been a lot in the news lately about challenges in the energy market. We want to reassure you that there?s nothing for you to worry about as a British Gas customer. We buy a lot of...
20
20